Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

For the excited masses who are unable to wait for an iPhone, some individuals have been busy... to the ire of Apple Legal.

Infoworld reports that two skin makers for the Palm and the Pocket PC were sent cease and desist letters for posting iPhone-skins for their respective platforms.

For those who don't own a PDA, this paper cutout of the iPhone can keep you occupied until the June comes, and now, you can even pretend you are getting phone calls...

Gizmodo posted an MP3 of the iPhone ringer from the keynote address... but perhaps more impressive is Andy Neesley's transcription of the iPhone ring tone (midi audio):

iphoneringer.png

Peel

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2004
Seattle
That's hillarious! I can just see all the poseurs now, with their paper cut-out iPhones, making fake phone calls.

aricher

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2004
Chi-il
Reminds me of the early days of cell phones when I would see yuppies "talking" on brick-sized cells in areas with no coverage (subways,etc.) Look at me - I'm cool & important!

Detlev_73

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2004
Roswell, GA
Hmmm...that tune is very Mexican. It's very reminiscent of a marimba: a Mexican sort of xylophone. Very catchy and distinctive. :cool:

Clive At Five

macrumors 65816
May 26, 2004
St. Paul, MN
Sad, yet hilarious.

Yeah, you're right. The voice on the MIDI is incorrect. Marimba is a staple, too... usually the standard voice 13 if I'm not mistaken.

-Clive

BigPrince

macrumors 68020
Dec 27, 2006
I could not find the price for the cut out anywhere, anyone else see it? I'd love to play a joke on my co-workers.

Sijmen

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2005
I could not find the price for the cut out anywhere, anyone else see it? I'd love to play a joke on my co-workers.

It'll cost you one sheet of glossy photo paper, some ink, and a scissor if you don't have one. Oh, a few kilobytes of disk space, too.

BigPrince

macrumors 68020
Dec 27, 2006
Sorry, did not realize it was a print out thing.

thanks.

didnt click on enough links lol, im so dumb.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Back when cell phones were new and expensive it was a status-thing to own one. They called them "car phones" then because you couldn't really use them unless plugged into something to size of a car battery. Ok back then they actually sold fake "car phones" so you could have one in the car to impress people. History repeats itself.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
I compared the MIDI version to what we heard when the phone rang during the keynote. It's a pretty good match, but didn't sound exactly the same. Maybe that's as close as it can be with MIDI.

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
I compared the MIDI version to what we heard when the phone rang during the keynote. It's a pretty good match, but didn't sound exactly the same. Maybe that's as close as it can be with MIDI.
The built-in QuickTime instruments are kind of lame :( With the marimba samples in the Apple orchestra jam pack it's a very good match.

ATG

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2005
Haha @ paper iPhones! Apple should start selling them instore, they'd make a killing! :p

The built-in QuickTime instruments are kind of lame With the marimba samples in the Apple orchestra jam pack it's a very good match.
Yeah, I agree with that. Please update the quicktime instruments for leopard, apple!

dernhelm

macrumors 68000
May 20, 2002
middle earth
This is a riot!

I shudder to think how much the hype will be out of control by the end of May...

Almost wish I could justify one. But I can't. :(

NorCalLights

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2006
Yep. Totally set this as my ring on my Treo. It'll have to hold me over until I can get out of my Verizon contract in 18 months. Until them I'm fine being a poser. It's actually the first ring I've liked... ever...

Billy B

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2007
iPhone ringtone beat-making challenge

Those guys at Sneakmove.com have a contest going right now to see who can mix the best beat up from the iPhone ringtone mp3. The example posted on the page is pretty great--I bet they get some good ones.

http://www.sneakmove.com/2007/01/iphone-ringtone-beat-making-challenge.html

what to do:
• download the iphone ringtone mp3
• mix it up into a killer beat
• email the mp3 by next thursday (jan 25) at midnight pst.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.