Apple iPhone Lightning Dock or 3rd Party Speaker Dock??

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by davidg4781, Jun 8, 2015.

1. davidg4781 macrumors 68000

Since my Trēo 650 I've pretty much always had a a dock for my smartphone. When I had my 4S I seriously thought of getting speaker dock (like iHome or a Sony or something like that) but ended up scrapping that idea. My main concern was that I'd leave it set on AM/FM and miss a phone call, text, or most importantly an alarm.

When the new dock came out, something finally clicked that I can get this, a set of speakers, and have my own "speaker dock," although it wouldn't look as elegant. I started looking at speaker docks again and I'm finding most seem to be just bluetooth speakers. So, now this is where I need some help as to which would be the best.

It would more than likely stay in my bedroom. I'd like to have one in the kitchen but I'm thinking of getting a portable speaker to use the in the restroom for that. My main concern for using it at my bedside is for an alarm and I want to make sure that which ever option I choose will play through the speakers after sitting around all night. I'm not sure if BT would do this. I think I remember some speakers shutting down after a time limit.

Is there anything I'm maybe missing?

2. davidg4781 thread starter macrumors 68000

Any suggestions? Any benefits of one over the other? I'll probably make the purchase on Saturday.