Apple iPhone on Fox News Overheating?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by w3cum, Jul 1, 2009.

1. w3cum macrumors regular

Just saw the Fox News in DC and they had 2 stories about Apple.. One about peoples iTunes accounts getting hacked for iTunes gift card codes... the other was that Apple was warning people about overheating iPhones. Any Phone that is running 3.0 ..... They said that Apple has "Warned iPhone users to not use certain Applications...." so my question is Who has been warned? And What Aps are we not to use?

2. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

MMS and tethering.....j/k :)

Yeah, I just heard it to, but I was only paying attention to the degrees where you get the warning (113). I knew you got a warning, but wasn't sure how hot it had to get. Anyway, you gotta remember it's Fox, so maybe they got some of the story wrong about the apps, since I've heard nothing about apps we're not supposed to use.

3. hierobryan macrumors 6502a

4. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

It was only on because I was watching "Think You Can Dance" :D

5. DaGreat01 macrumors 6502a

DaGreat01

Haha +1

6. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

eweeeeeee

turn off your TV if you're going to watch Fox "News".

Go read a book if you're going to believe Fox.

7. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

If a significant number of them were actually overheating, we've be hearing about it here first, not on Fox news.

8. calvy macrumors 65816

For all of you fox news bashers, it's not the Fox news that you all love to hate (as do I). My local fox news is by far the best, but I'd never watch Bill Oreilly or any of those other idiots on the Fox News cable network.

The only bad part about it is sometimes there is just not enough news to fill an hour, and they end up reporting on boring feature stories too long. Which is where I think this story falls into place. Some news guy found some articles stating that it was overheating, and ran with it.

I've had this warning message on my 3G before when using google maps extensively over the 3G network.

9. Morn macrumors 6502

Fox news is just as bad as any of the other cable news stations this way, except they have a rather worse slant as well.
    In any event, the only way you should be getting news these days is web sites and podcasts. :)

10. Jeremy08 macrumors regular

LOL, same here...its like, who the F relies upon fox news for information anyway??!:confused:

11. aristotle macrumors 68000

aristotle

12. macinsanity macrumors member

I walked all about 2.5 miles last night with the screen lock off and I had maps pulled up with both gps and directional tracking on. No major heat issue on my iphone. The air temp was also over 90 degrees. I have a 32GB White 3GS

13. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

You shouldn't be watching that either, they're both hazardous to your health :D

14. aristotle macrumors 68000

aristotle

I know what the problem is. Known issue with all battery devices.

This issue is a known limitation that has been there since the beginning. People are obviously using the device to tether or as a GPS while plugged in for extended periods of time. What is happening here is the battery is being constantly drained and recharged when the power requirements for the application go beyond the power USB can provide to the device.

The same thing happened when people were using Netshare with Iphone OS 2.0 for an extended period of time. The battery would still drain even when plugged in (to USB port or wall) and the device would get hot. You are killing your battery by doing this.

Tether for only short periods of time or use Blu-tooth with the iPhone unplugged and use the GPS with the device unplugged. Then charge the device without using it heavily until you have charged the device and then unplug it again to use it again.

This will preserve the battery life and extend the lifetime of the device as a whole.