Apple iPhone or laptop with hidden camera in display?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by alexbates, Jan 8, 2009.

1. alexbates macrumors 65816

alexbates

AppleInsider says that Apple might be working on a product relating to the July 2007 patent. This patent had to do with a camera hidden inside the display instead of using an iSight. This could be posible for the future iPhone, iPod Touch, and laptops.

Recent patents filed by Apple (like improved laptop display housing and single-chip LCD designs) show that Apple is working on imroved displays on both iPhones and laptops.
    On an iPhone or iPod Touch, the single-chip design would allow more space (to maybe put a camera) and be faster.
    On a laptop, the improved display housing would show that Apple could be trying to save space around the edges of the LCD (which could require removing the iSight.)

Does the hidden camera sound like a good idea? Do you think it could be used in the 3rd generation iPhone and future MacBooks?

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

That's an interesting idea. I rarely if ever use the iSight camera so I wouldn't even mind if they took it off completely if it meant saving space and lowering the price. Although hiding it in the display is a good solution, perhaps that would even allow for a better lens.

3. aresinferno macrumors regular

While you are at it say goodbye to matte screens forever. They would all be glossy. Putting the camera behind a matte display, or at least the bezel of a matte display may cause some uh...problems :|

4. arodriguez19 macrumors newbie

5. ZMacintosh macrumors 65816

ZMacintosh

yeah i heard about this too.....itd be hidden within the LED or some sort of reflective in the display itself as a camera and a display. really crazy but cool.

not sure if id get use out of it other than goofing around with it for the first few days and not utilizing it.

i dont use the isightmuch on my MBP and ilike the location its at, perfect spot...and the green light to indicate its in use. i guess im paranoid but id like to know if the camera on my machine is in on or not so as long as it has an indicator than thatd be fine by me.

6. ISawIt macrumors newbie

That's a good and interesting idea and I think it could be used in the 3rd generation iPhone and future MacBooks.

7. Hidden Cameras macrumors newbie

yeah i heard about this too.....itd be hidden within the LED or some sort of reflective in the display itself as a camera and a display. really crazy but cool.

not sure if id get use out of it other than goofing around with it for the first few days and not utilizing it.

i dont use the isightmuch on my MBP and ilike the location its at, perfect spot...and the green light to indicate its in use. i guess im paranoid but id like to know if the camera on my machine is in on or not so as long as it has an indicator than thatd be fine by me.