Apple Iphone Push email safe?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by chormadito, Aug 21, 2010.

1. chormadito macrumors newbie

Hi, I'm new to the apple email push system. I've been a Blackberry user and I wanted to ask some quick question.

1. Is the apple's iphone email system reliable and safe? (in other words are the emails being sent through apple servers to the phone safe?)

2. Is it safe to run the push email system and have other apps running with it?
    Example: Having the email on push 24/7 and running beejive at the same time?

I know this may be stupid questions, but Ive been using the blackberries email system and I know that the emails being sent are safe and secure... like not leaking out. Maybe im verrryyy paranoid? :confused:

I appreciate any help from you guys.

Thanks

2. silentsim macrumors regular

The ability to push will be dependant on your mail provider. If you use Gmail, set it up as an exchange. If you use MobileMe your push is fine.

And yes, you can leave beejive and other pushing apps alongside your Mail. You will get "push notifications" for those apps.

3. dieburnbot macrumors 6502a

dieburnbot

I've been pushing emails since 2008 on my iPhone and I haven't had any breach of security. I doubt anyone cares about your emails. It's not like you're the president or something.

4. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Only email sent through Mobile Me is sent through Apple's servers. All other email is dependent entirely on that provider's servers and the architectures they support. Apple won't touch or handle any e-mail from or to you, that's not going through MobileMe.

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "safe." But I would say that Blackberry mail is no more or less "safe" in most respects than Mobile Me, or any properly configured Exchange ActiveSync server.

Of course it's safe. Why wouldn't it be?

Not very paranoid, but, you've been sold a bill of goods and are believing a lot of hype about RIM's supposed security. Blackberry e-mail is no more "safe" or "secure" than anything out there. E-mail is only as safe as its weakest link, and whenever e-mail leaves Blackberry's proprietary network, it loses all immunity to any eavesdropping that RIM purports to protect against.

Besides... the US Government already claims it has methods for intercepting Blackberry mail. And apparently, quite a few middle eastern governments are brokering agreements with RIM for similar arrangements, and threatening to ban the service if they don't get what they want.

The only way to really be secure is to roll your own Exchange server with encryption, and connect via an IPsec VPN. Oh, and never send email outside of your own network. But then, that defeats the whole point of email...

Anyway, you have nothing to fear about iPhone e-mail security. If you felt "safe" sending e-mail on your Blackberry, then you should feel equally as "safe" on your iPhone.

5. chormadito thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey thanks guys for the help!

Scaredpoet, thanks for the good detail.

Also I notice hotmail doesn't have their own "icon" on the mail app. Do I just go to "others"?. Will it still be push?

Once again thanks.

6. dieburnbot macrumors 6502a

dieburnbot

7. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

I would personally set Hotmail up on iPhone as a POP account, but bear in mind that Microsoft is nearing the end of the testing phase for Hotmail getting Exchange support:

http://www.liveside.net/main/archiv...-for-hotmail-looks-like-it-s-working-now.aspx

Some people may be able to get Exchange working now with their Windows Live Hotmail account, others will have to wait a little while.

8. shandyman Suspended

the settings are here - http://www.iphonedownloadblog.com/2010/06/17/how-to-set-up-hotmail-for-ms-exchange-on-your-iphone/

they work, but microsoft is not letting anyone new use it yet as they say they have had too many requests. sounds like have to try again in a couple of weeks.

9. chormadito thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey thanks for the info.

I'm still a bit confused as in what is "exchange"? If you guys dont mind giving me a bit more info on that.

Also I read that hotmail does allow push but you have to put it on "others"?
    So push will work on old users but not new?

Thanks!

10. jasonforisrael macrumors regular

you're using hotmail of all email providers, and you are looking for extreme privacy?

does not compute...

11. tirk macrumors 6502

tirk

Exchange :cool:

12. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

I don't know why you say that.

GMail has far worse privacy issues. Saying that, their privacy issues aren't all that bad.

13. shandyman Suspended

if you set up hotmail via other, it doesn't do push, thats why you have to do it under exchange, as thats how the new activesync thing works, but as i said, they said they're not allowing any new people do it, by new people, they mean people who are trying to set up activesync now, not new accounts. i've had my hotmail for 13 years now and i have to wait 2 weeks like everyone else.

14. Zcott macrumors 68020

+1 internets to this poster.