Apple iPhone Return Policy?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by imac005, Sep 23, 2007.

1. imac005 macrumors newbie

Unfortuntately I dropped my iphone yesterday causing visible scatches on the back side. I purchased the phone less than 2 weeks ago, so i'm still within the 14 day period. Can i still return the phone with a scatches on the back? I just want to return it and pick up another brand new one. I know there will be a restocking fee and I'm fine with that. I know its something little, but the scratches are really bothering me.

2. erandall38 macrumors 6502

ya you can but for a 10% restocking fee.

I would not recommend it unless you plan to buy a could cover. It is guaranteed without a cover you will get scratches on your phone again with out one and you probably will get used to them anyways.

3. TurboSC macrumors 65816

TurboSC

10% restocking fee... do yourself a favor and get a nice thick case... I was going to recommend the BSE, but well... actually just spend the extra $8 and get that protection + a case...

4. imac005 thread starter macrumors newbie

I do have a cover for it, but at the time i just happened to take off the cover before I dropped it.

5. FreeState macrumors 68000

FreeState

What ever happened to "you break it, you own it"?

I mean really, why should you return it and expect Apple to give you a new one since YOU dropped it - not Apple.

I believe its completely unethical to return a product that you damaged, even if you know the company will be nice and replace it - but eh maybe thats just crazy old me...

6. djearlybird macrumors regular

I couldn't agree more. I just hope I don't get a phone that was dropped w/ scratches, I just ordered a refurb, and arrives on Wednesday :rolleyes:

7. erandall38 macrumors 6502

Well if the restocking fee is worth it to you then keep that case on it. I do not like how cases look so I don't use one and have got used to the scratches.

8. erandall38 macrumors 6502

I am pretty sure you will be fine. In fact I think buying a refurb is the best way to go. From what I understand they fix all the insides and replace it witha new bezzle, cover, screen. So I think you will be good to go, you wil not recieved scratches on it. Smart choice. If I did not buy one the first day that is what I would do.

9. djearlybird macrumors regular

Thanks for the info. I like the fact they go through extensive QC tests before Apple resells them. My neighbor bought a MacBookPro, and it didn't have a flaw at all. Your casing theory is probably right. :apple:

10. Twinkie macrumors regular

It died with the advent of arbitrary restocking fees, in my estimation.

I don't necessarily disagree. But in the same respect, I question the ethics in charging a person $40 for the honor of removing cellophane and deciding they didn't agree to the licensing terms, warranty provisions, paying extra for a Go Phone plan, or any other reason that someone might have for returning an iPhone in new condition.

11. vtxdig macrumors member

vtxdig

My phone was acting up now it has seemed to be fixed.... my home key was intermittently freezing/stuck. Now what the box is on its way. if they can't find anything wrong are they going to send the same phone back? or charge me shipping or??

Thanks

12. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

Here you can't return anything that has scratches or anything like that.

13. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

No they won't. You'll just have a new phone, they'll have an almost-new phone that tests okay, and it'll be cleaned up a bit and repackaged for the next guy.

On the other hand, the home button could start acting up again. In any case it was truly causing you problems at the time you requested the exchange, so you did the right thing.