Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

theWozinator

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 9, 2014
I was a bit disappointed to see that there wasn't an option for the iPhone Upgrade Program when preordering a 6S last night. :/ I contacted support this morning and it is only something offered in store. Anyone else run into this issue?

Here's my plan on getting this reconciled: I’m thinking I might be able to talk them into an "exchange" sometime after 9/25 (but within the 14 day return period). Due to limited stock in stores, I would just keep my device that I preordered. On their end, they're "returning" the device, refunding me the unlocked full price (which is what I preordered), and then reselling it with the upgrade program.

It would be kind of ridiculous if this isn't something that can be done in store. I’d be paying them a lot more money by getting AppleCare+ (which I didn't get with the preorder), committing to Apple for at least the next 2 years, etc. etc.

Thoughts?

edlex

macrumors 68020
Apr 14, 2010
Miami
I pre ordered the 6s+ Upgrade Program at 9:12am this morning and got it reserved for 9/25 @ 1pm. Much better than waking up in the middle of the night ;)

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
I think the iPhone Upgrade Program currently can be done only in stores. However, you should be able to reserve your phone for pick up with no issues. And when you go to the store, you can then do the iPhone upgrade program.

vrillusions

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2007
Cleveland, Ohio, US
I think the iPhone Upgrade Program currently can be done only in stores. However, you should be able to reserve your phone for pick up with no issues. And when you go to the store, you can then do the iPhone upgrade program.

This is how it worked. It was admittedly confusing. I'm on t-mobile so after choosing the phone model and carrier the only option was to pay full price then and there OR there was a text link at the top that said if interested in buying in store to make a reservation. Doesn't say if you want to purchase using the upgrade program to make a reservation. Yet it says "$35/mo with yearly upgrade" or something along those lines, but no clear directions on how to actually purchase that.

Cuniac

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2013
Phoenix
I preordered last night/ this morning at 12:06am using the iPhone Upgrade program. You had to go to that part of the Apple website to set a reservation for the program. then you get a confirmation email saying your iPhone has been reserved for the program please bring ect..... into the apple store on the 25th

phpmaven

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2009
San Clemente, CA USA
I was a bit disappointed to see that there wasn't an option for the iPhone Upgrade Program when preordering a 6S last night. :/ I contacted support this morning and it is only something offered in store. Anyone else run into this issue?

Here's my plan on getting this reconciled: I’m thinking I might be able to talk them into an "exchange" sometime after 9/25 (but within the 14 day return period). Due to limited stock in stores, I would just keep my device that I preordered. On their end, they're "returning" the device, refunding me the unlocked full price (which is what I preordered), and then reselling it with the upgrade program.

It would be kind of ridiculous if this isn't something that can be done in store. I’d be paying them a lot more money by getting AppleCare+ (which I didn't get with the preorder), committing to Apple for at least the next 2 years, etc. etc.

Thoughts?
I can just about guarantee that they won't do that. They would have to process a return on the phone and they won't let you buy the same phone back. I've tried that one before. Their system just won't allow for these kinds of deals. It's always possible that you talk a manager into doing this, but I highly doubt it.

theWozinator

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 9, 2014
I can just about guarantee that they won't do that. They would have to process a return on the phone and they won't let you buy the same phone back. I've tried that one before. Their system just won't allow for these kinds of deals. It's always possible that you talk a manager into doing this, but I highly doubt it.

Yeah, that's what I'm afraid of... some system limitation. Hopefully I can get someone to override it... just seems like a silly business decision to turn away someone willing to give more money.

ics55

macrumors regular
May 18, 2010
Ive actually done this several times for different reasons. They will do it, but there is 1 danger in doing it. Once they put it back into inventory, someone else can grab it before you get to repurchase it. Its never happened to me, but they always warn me that it could happen.

phpmaven

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2009
San Clemente, CA USA
Ive actually done this several times for different reasons. They will do it, but there is 1 danger in doing it. Once they put it back into inventory, someone else can grab it before you get to repurchase it. Its never happened to me, but they always warn me that it could happen.
Wow. Ok, I tried to do it once and they told me that it had to go back into stock and I wouldn't be able to buy it back. I admittedly didn't try that hard. I'll have to remember that.

gdjsnyder

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2010
Swoyersville, PA

I was able to do this last year. I purchased my 6 Plus online with contract but wanted to do edge with Verizon. I had opened and used the phone so when I went to Apple to do this they returned the iPhone as new, and someone in the back had to place the IMEI back into inventory. Took all of about 10 minutes and the iPhone never left my hand because it actually was open. Then they called Verizon, had my upgrade reset and repurchased the iPhone on the edge plan.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.