Carrier Apple iPhone Upgrade Program - T-Mobile

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mallow, Sep 8, 2016.

1. mallow macrumors newbie

Has anyone gotten concrete info on how Apple IUP will work for T-Mobile customers? I understand that we will have to go to a store, but can we reserve/preorder at all?

2. JonFairhurst macrumors newbie

JonFairhurst

I'm also interested. I'm not on the Upgrade Program yet, but would like to sign up as a T-Mobile subscriber.

On Tuesday (before launch day), I called Apple and they told me to go to the store. I did, and they said I could only sign up when they have stock. I asked about getting a 6 on the Upgrade Program to tide me over, but that's no longer an option. With no way to reserve an iPhone 7 for the Upgrade Program and T-Mobile, the store might have stock when I call, but none when I arrive. What a pain.

Today, I did a chat with Apple sales. They said the program is fine and will work when they have stock. I'm not sure I believe them.

Has anybody signed up as a new Upgrade Program member with a T-Mobile iPhone 7? I'm skeptical.

3. JonFairhurst macrumors newbie

JonFairhurst

So... I used the following link and confirmed stock of the black 128 7 at the Pioneer Place store.

https://reserve.cdn-apple.com/US/en...1&sourceID=email&rv=0&path=&iPP=U&appleCare=Y

I wasn't able to reserve a T-Mobile phone, so I reserved an AT&T (also GSM) on the Upgrade Program and set the appointment for late this afternoon. Went to the store, showed the reservation, and waited in a short line.

Yes, they had the phone. Yes, it will work with T-Mobile. (I just need to transfer my SIM card.) No I can't buy it on the Upgrade Program. As my iPhone 5 is nearly dead, I bought the 7 outright. I skipped the Apple Care thing and there was no sales tax. I walked over to the T-Mobile store and had them switch SIM cards, just in case they needed to change my account settings. Everything went fine, though the customer service guy was surprised when he popped the AT&T card out of the 7. :)

I asked the guy at the Apple Store what the issue was. He said that T-Mobile was withholding SIM cards to minimize 3rd party (including Apple) sales, and they want to drive people to their own financing deals. I'm happy to not have rewarded the carrier.

So if I want to upgrade next year, I'll need to sell or trade in this phone. I'm cool with that. But it sure was a runaround.