Apple iPhone upgrade program..

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kdw877, May 28, 2017.

1. kdw877 macrumors newbie

I have the 7 now, and I'm on apples iPhone upgrade program. What's the deal if I wanna upgrade to the iPhone edition or whatever it's gonna be called with all the bells and whistles? Because it's gonna cost a lot more I'm guessing. Not entirely sure how it works?

2. OscarSalazar__ macrumors newbie

That's something you would have to ask an Apple Store employee my guess is maybe a higher payment up front?? Idk it's still too early to tell

3. kdw877 thread starter macrumors newbie

I just read what the deal is. Basically the monthly payments reset and start anew for the new phone at whatever price point it is. So as I see it if I do that I'm basically renting this phone as I'd give it back to apple after paying for it for a year as it doesn't contribute at all towards the new iPhone. **** that! I'd rather keep it and sell it later and put that toward the new iPhone. Anything else is throwing those past monthly payments down the drain!

4. OscarSalazar__ macrumors newbie

Yea man that's why didn't. Do it I just got the 7 plus 128gb jet black and I don't see any reason why I would want to upgrade to the new one. Good thing is that iPhones tend to keep there value higher so resell is always good you won't lose out on much if you decide to sell it in order to get a new one

5. Mlrollin91 macrumors G5

Mlrollin91

The whole idea of the plan is so you can upgrade yearly and don't have to deal with the hassle of selling the device when you want to upgrade. You get a little less in the end for the device, but there is zero risk, no fees and is just extremely easy. Last year I got $450 for my 64GB 6s on trade in, or I could have sold it for about $500 after fees. $50 is not worth the risk IMO.

Do the math, you really aren't throwing monthly payments down the drain. You would be paying that money no matter what and there is no guarantee you would get the trade in value on resale. This way you know for a fact you are getting 50% of the device cost back when you trade it in.
    --- Post Merged, May 28, 2017 ---
    There is no up front payment with IUP. Its just an increased monthly rate depending on the cost of the phone.

Its Phone Cost + AppleCare divided by 24 months.

6. OscarSalazar__ macrumors newbie

Ahh okay gotcha that doesn't sound so bad after being out in those terms

7. aristobrat macrumors G5

You bought a $649+ iPhone 7 last year.

After a year, your monthly payments will have paid for half of it.

You've paid nothing that would contribute Towards a new phone. You still owe $325 to finish paying off your iPhone 7.

Also, if you want to keep your iPhone 7 when you upgrade to the next iPhone, you can. Simply pay off the $325+ you still owe for it. That closes out your old contract, but you get to keep the phone (and sell it yourself).

For most people, trading the old iPhone back into Apple is easier, because Apple then pays off the $325+ they still owe for it, which closes out the contract.

8. Mlrollin91 macrumors G5

Mlrollin91

It's actually closer to $400 cause you get half of AC+ refunded on trade in.

9. democracyrules macrumors 6502a

The above comments are absolutely true. Using IUP without paying off the phone to get a new one is truly renting a phone for a year. The renter never owns the phone unless he or she pays off. And the comment stating "Anything else is throwing those past monthly payments down the drain!" is absolutely correct. For people who never intend to own an iPhone for long term period, just want to rent because they want to change every year, IUP is right for them.

10. aristobrat macrumors G5

That's what's nice about IUP, IMO. It gives people the choice of what to do...

Want to upgrade at the one-year mark, but keep your old phone and sell it yourself? You can do that!

What to upgrade at the one-year mark, but rather trade it in to Apple instead of selling it yourself? You can do that!

Don't want to upgrade at the one-year mark, ... just want to keep on using your old iPhone? You can do that!

11. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

Am I correct in assuming that the first payment will always be like $150+? because they want you to pay the full tax upfront every single time you "upgrade" - right?

I'm past the 1 year point on my Apple Upgrade plan as well as my wife's upgrade plan. If I am right, we'll need $300+ to get an upgrade. That said, we're probably keeping our 6s+ phones till next year anyway.

Looks like we might get a little back from the AppleCare+?