iPhone XR Apple iPhone upgrade programme

bulldoze

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 15, 2011
I was passing the Apple store today and although I had initially decided to pass on upgrading my 6S in October due to the cost of the new phones I decided to drop in and have a look.

The Apple guy was pushing the upgrade programme fairly hard. £43 pound a month for an XR 128GB complete with Apple Care and the option to upgrade to a new phone every year.

On the surface this seems like a reasonable deal and has the advantage of taking all the bother out of owning an iPhone. Is this a popular option? what do other people think of this deal?

BigMcGuire

Contributor
Jan 10, 2012
California
Assuming this is similar to the Apple Upgrade Plan in the USA, my wife and I have been doing this for the last several iPhone generations that we own. We love it. It's still owning the phone though, just basically a $0 loan. You don't have to upgrade after 2 years, and after 2 years of making the monthly payments, you own the phone. Every time they come out with a new phone, if you've owned the phone for a year, they give you a nifty link to upgrade via pre-order and mail you a return box for your current phone so upgrading is super painless. My wife and I have done this but we are going to be keeping our current phones for 3 years, but we're still on the AUP.

bulldoze

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 15, 2011
Assuming this is similar to the Apple Upgrade Plan in the USA, my wife and I have been doing this for the last several iPhone generations that we own. We love it. It's still owning the phone though, just basically a $0 loan. You don't have to upgrade after 2 years, and after 2 years of making the monthly payments, you own the phone. Every time they come out with a new phone, if you've owned the phone for a year, they give you a nifty link to upgrade via pre-order and mail you a return box for your current phone so upgrading is super painless. My wife and I have done this but we are going to be keeping our current phones for 3 years, but we're still on the AUP.
If an upgrade is available for no cost after a year why would you not take them up on the offer though? I don't quite understand.

BigMcGuire

Contributor
Jan 10, 2012
California
If an upgrade is available for no cost after a year why would you not take them up on the offer though? I don't quite understand.
Because you have to turn in your phone. They make money on this vs you keeping your phone for two years then selling it back to Apple for $. But the difference isn’t terrible. I’ve upgraded after one year. Went from 8+ to Xs Max. :)

skillwill

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2008
Another reason is that it’s just for the phone, you have to buy a phone plan on top. Most people go through their carrier. Eg in the UK the cheapest upgrade plan is £41 a month. Most people could get that 64gb XR on an OK-ish contract plan for that monthly cost.

I’m only on the upgrade plan because my sister works at a phone network and gets a massive family discount, so I only pay for my phone.

Azathoth123

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2018
Fountain City
It isn’t a bad deal but it isn’t killer either. I upgraded from the X to the XS mostly because I thought that I should try out the IUP that I was on (US). You have to pay tax, one payment, and activation fee (unless you can get it waived). That came to around $200. I think I’d rather just buy SIM free outright even though the charge is all up front. No activation fee and no payments. I don’t buy iPads or Macs on payment plans, so why not do the same with the phone?

BTW, love the XS, definitely a cut above the X in speed, smoothness, and camera dynamic range.

dazlicous

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2011
Manchester
I would never hand the phone back. Sell it on yourself and pay off the Barclays loan. Whatever extra is in your pocket not Apples