Apple iPod 15GB - 3rd Generation...

Discussion in 'iPod' started by LangleyAls, Jan 19, 2008.

1. LangleyAls macrumors member

Hi guys,

So I was searching through my cupboards the other day and much to my surprise i found my 3rd Generation 15GB Ipod... i had completely forgotten about its existence. Below is a picture of the 'ancient' ipod i am talking about, just to refresh your memories.
    Now the point of this post, is that i want to make some funds available to purchase an Apple TV and was wondering if these things have any resale value?
    To let you know some more about it, its condition isn't great with a few scratches on the screen. Also the battery has all but packed up with me getting about 20 minutes out of it at most...
    If anyone knows of a place that i could take it and maybe exchange it for some money, or if anyone out there wants one, let me know!

And don't worry guys, i'm not getting rid of my only ipod! i have a second generation ipod nano aswell!

Thanks in advance

Attached Files:

2. mzd macrumors 6502a

unfortunately they have little resale value, especially with a dud battery. you could try replacing the battery first, but even then, i'd doubt you'd even get $100 for it.
    incidentally, i still use my 20GB 3G iPod all the time. i still get about 6 hours out of the battery too.

3. LangleyAls thread starter macrumors member

yeh, i was thinking like $80, which i'm not too bothered about, would go some way towards the ATV.
    any ideas where i could sell it? ebay my best bet?

4. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

I can refresh my memory every day when I put mine in my pocket . . . still going strong, too. No new battery--old one still gives me several hours.

5. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

Yeah, it likely will not fetch that much. Because of the age of it, capacity, and subpar battery performance, you'll likely fetch maybe $50-80. You could find a sucker to pay a few bucks more, but i don't know if you'll even be able to hit a hundred.

If that range seems to low for what you'd like to sell it as, you may want to just hold onto it, get a dock, and plug it into a stereo system (or just leave it in your car or whatever if you have another iPod so you wouldn't have to carry another iPod back and forth...)

I would try Craigslist. I've had great getting values over what iPods are worth on there... You could try listing it for like say $90 or something and see if anyone bites and drop the price if you don't get anything. Plus you don't have to deal with shipping and can get payment in cash if you want. If Craigslist doesn't work for you, eBay would likely be the next best option.

6. LangleyAls thread starter macrumors member

Cheers mate, i will try that.