Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

michaelrjohnson

macrumors 68020
Aug 9, 2000
That's great news for people who need replacements.

I suppose, now this actually gives services like iPodRestore a bit of a run for their money. (Though it all depends how long you plan on keeping your iPod)

mrzeve

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2005
Your article says they offer users who bought iPods $50 certificates. But they also offer either a replacment iPod or a replacement battery.

yellow5

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2005
Now I guess there is no need to purchase the Protection Plan since the battery replacement program is only $2 more. Unless you really care about the phone support.

xli_ne

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2005
Center of the Nation
yellow5 said:
Now I guess there is no need to purchase the Protection Plan since the battery replacement program is only $2 more. Unless you really care about the phone support.

doesn't it cover it if the HDD fails as well?

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
That's a pretty big change, percentagewise. Interesting that Apple didn't want to take any credit for lowering the price. I guess battery replacement is a dirty business not discussed in polite company except when necessary.

xli_ne

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2005
Center of the Nation
Sharewaredemon said:
Yeah it does, and that's why I needed to get two iPods replaced, I didn't have anything wrong with the battery ever.

speaking of the apple care for the ipod, has anyone ever bought it for a shuffle? I see that apple never has put a different plan for the shuffles. 60 bucks for a 100 or 130 dollar player? Are they just thinking that no one wants it?

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Sharewaredemon said:
Yeah it does, and that's why I needed to get two iPods replaced, I didn't have anything wrong with the battery ever.

I think I might need to get mine replaced too. Battery is down to about 4 hours and the drive constantly spins up and makes a clicking noise. Luckily I have the iPod Apple Care. Hope they give me a new one.

jcshas

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2003
I recently helped a buddy of mine replace the battery in his 3rd gen 40 gig. He ordered his from "FastMac" for $40. I was amazed at how easy it was to do, and it was a heckuva lot cheaper than what Apple was charging.

Surreal

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2004
xli_ne said:
speaking of the apple care for the ipod, has anyone ever bought it for a shuffle? I see that apple never has put a different plan for the shuffles. 60 bucks for a 100 or 130 dollar player? Are they just thinking that no one wants it?

funny thing about that is..3 months later i need to get mine replaced because the headphone jack is messing up.

no auto pause when the headphones get pulled out and it sometimes goes mono when the jack is wiggled. so sad i am...i must send it in..which means not having an ipod...

atari1356

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2004
My first generation iPod is still going strong... of course, I don't use it that much. :eek:

suntzu

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2003
If I'm reading that page right, they give you an iPod of the same model only newer?

It says that if you have engraving on it from another company, the engraving won't be preserved. If they're just changing the battery, shouldn't it use the same casing?

Plecky

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2005
I'd personally go with the Apple Care plan if the iPod's <3 years old, over 3 years then I guess its good battery replacement got cheaper. I wonder if this can also be serviced for the same price at a Apple Store or if they would just charge you and ship it themselves to apple or what... Other than that, I know this is neither the time or place but I figure it should be a quick and simple question and answer, but can you add signatures to your posts or do a lot of you just copy and paste signatures following your posts? I'll try to figure it out, but on to topic - I'd personally like to see the ipod battery replacement be even cheaper or more acceptable depending on iPod. For example, $59 for the full-size iPod/iPod-Photo line, $39 for the Mini (having a smaller li-ion, why not?) and $19 for the shuffle. Why should a bargain brand player like the 512 shuffle at $99 battery replacement cost over half the price of the unit while the $400 60 gig iPod cost the same amount even though its only about 15-20% the price of that unit. Maybe I'm wrong on this, please inform me if so - just curious...

JDOG_

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2003
Oakland
Sorry to rain on the parade, but there's still the shipping cost:

"How much does it cost to participate in the program?
The program costs $59, plus $6.95 shipping. The total program cost is $65.95 per unit."

:rolleyes: Too bad you can't just get a "swap" at an Apple Store.

phatpat88

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2005
suntzu said:
If I'm reading that page right, they give you an iPod of the same model only newer?

It says that if you have engraving on it from another company, the engraving won't be preserved. If they're just changing the battery, shouldn't it use the same casing?

No, They send you a new/refurb one.

have you seen the process for replacing a battery? Its quite difficult... and Dents would be likely.

phatpat88

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2005
Plecky said:
I'd personally go with the Apple Care plan if the iPod's <3 years old, over 3 years then I guess its good battery replacement got cheaper. I wonder if this can also be serviced for the same price at a Apple Store or if they would just charge you and ship it themselves to apple or what... Other than that, I know this is neither the time or place but I figure it should be a quick and simple question and answer, but can you add signatures to your posts or do a lot of you just copy and paste signatures following your posts? I'll try to figure it out, but on to topic - I'd personally like to see the ipod battery replacement be even cheaper or more acceptable depending on iPod. For example, $59 for the full-size iPod/iPod-Photo line, $39 for the Mini (having a smaller li-ion, why not?) and $19 for the shuffle. Why should a bargain brand player like the 512 shuffle at $99 battery replacement cost over half the price of the unit while the $400 60 gig iPod cost the same amount even though its only about 15-20% the price of that unit. Maybe I'm wrong on this, please inform me if so - just curious...

I would not get a battery replacement done on the shuffle from apple.. I would most likely just use it a a thumb drive... or get a place to do it for cheap :)

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
yellow5 said:
I wouldn't get Apple's plan anyway. A company called Mack (ironically enough) sells extended warranties for things like portable mp3 players, as well as camera and other electronics. You can get it at a pretty decent price at places like B&H Photo Video. It's longer than Apple's plan too, since it adds 3 years on top of what Apple offers standard (90 day phone, 1 year hardware).

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
A much nicer price point, thanks Apple. Luckily, my 3G iPod is over a year old now and I honestly have noticed zero degredation in the battery life, and I get pretty much 8 hours use out of it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.