Apple iPod Touch 4th/3rd Gen Prototype with Camera

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by oakfan, Apr 17, 2012.

1. oakfan macrumors newbie

I recently acquired a iPod touch 4th Gen prototype from a friend or a friend, what would something like this go for? Its 64 GB and runs a custom version of IOS, it connects to the computer, but iTunes doesn't "see it" because it can't authenticate the device.

I have pictures uploaded to photobucket http://s1058.photobucket.com/profile/CowonX7/uploads

So I'm just looking for feedback to have a better chance to sell.

2. na1577 macrumors 6502a

It's certainly rare, so you might gain the interest of a collector. Most other people wouldn't be interested in paying much for a unit that can't really be used.

You should also be aware that Apple usually cracks down on these types of sales.

Edit: I should also note that MacRumors has a specific marketplace forum.

3. oakfan thread starter macrumors newbie

Still new here, sadly I can't see the marketplace, do you think apple will close my auction? I thought they just had a problem with prototypes of products that were soon to be released, not something a few "generations" old.

4. All Taken macrumors 6502a

Nothing to lose by trying?

5. na1577 macrumors 6502a

People have tried auctioning different products, but Apple always takes it down. (the 3G MacBook Pro, prototype MacBook Air, prototype iPhone, etc.) If you really want to try selling it, it would have to be done quietly.

6. oakfan thread starter macrumors newbie

oh na1577, I had no idea, I have an auction up on ebay now its been 2 days with a "fixed" price buy it now, do you think I'm pressing my luck?

7. sheppy1 macrumors 6502a

sheppy1

Can we get a link to the auction?

8. na1577 macrumors 6502a

Possibly. If the auction gets Apple's attention, it's over.