Apple is a Hardware Company?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by scottp78, Apr 5, 2011.

1. scottp78 macrumors member

I have been waitting for the new Refresh of the iMac now for some time. Being that Apple wants to say that they are a hardware Co. why are they going to be the last to upgreade there systems with the sandy bridge CPU's. I am switching over to mac now and giving up my PC's for it.

What is the delay on this release? Being that every other Computer Manufacture has had this upgreade out already.

I dont mind Paying a high price for a system that I want it is just really hard to even consider paying $2000 + For somthing that is really considerd Old tech.

2. simsaladimbamba

Incidentally Apple does not disclose its reasons for any perceived delays in their upgrade cycle. Maybe they experience some problems and want to get rid of them?
    The current iMacs are still selling strong anyway, why put haste to update something?

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Apple has their own, weird update cycles. They don't update machines right after the chips come out unless it fits that machine's update cycle. Usually Macs are updated every 8-10 months, although lately it seems like Apple may be moving towards annual updates. iMac was last updated in July so an update is expected to take place within two months.

4. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

You guys get way way way too focused on tech specs. Who the hell cares if it's "old tech" if it still does what you want it to do?

5. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

You mean all those early PCs with the defective Sandy Bridge chip?

6. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

People ask this question all the time, even though fundamentally, they all know the answer already.

The higher the price someone is paying for an item, the more you are likely to feel hard done by if something new comes out a couple of weeks later.

If, on the other hand, McDonald's brings out a new sandwich the week after you eat a Big Mac, it's probably not that big of a deal.

If that's what gets someones goat, let them be annoyed! That's their prerogative.

7. scottp78 thread starter macrumors member

The Diffrence here is that a big mac is under $10 so go buy a new Hamberger next week. You do tend to eat every day!!

Most of us when buying an Item costing over $2000 dont go and buy one every week.

8. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

Err, yes. That was my point. Did you just skim and read Big Mac? :(

9. scottp78 thread starter macrumors member

For me the curent iMac does not do what I want it too!!! I do a lot of HD Video edditting and with out the ability to add hard drives with an all in one system. Unless I am willing to lose speed of the drives.

Plus the redering speed matters to me knowing that the new CPU's are better at that why Would I want to speend $2000 + for somthing that is slower!!

10. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

It's funny ... Every single person on here always says they do high end video editing. Somehow, I just don't believe this to be the case.

11. scottp78 thread starter macrumors member

No but that does sound good for lunch!! LOL

12. scottp78 thread starter macrumors member

well i do!!! On the PC Side I use Liquid to edit and on mac I use Final cut pro. on my pc I have 8 TB of Drive space and use most of it!!

13. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Well, a lot professionals come to this forum to ask for help, let alone the amount of hobbyists and amateurs. Just because you don't do HD video editing doesn't mean that nobody does. If someone comes here and lies, he will only be lying to himself.

If you want to pay the full price for last year's technology, go ahead, I don't mind. It's your money. The odds are that the same iMac you buy now can be bought with a significant discount after the new ones are released. Not everyone buys a 2000$ computer every other month so it's completely reasonable to wait for newer and faster, especially if one can take advantage of the extra speed.

14. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

Man, I live 5 minutes walk from a McDonald's and I'm thinking about one for dinner. Haha!

15. scottp78 thread starter macrumors member

I Agree with you 100%

I am waitting for it just feel like waitting for ever!!! I want to be frozen like Cartmen!!

16. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

I don't think there are any exclamation points left in the world at this point.

17. TMRaven macrumors 68020

TMRaven

You're lying to yourself then, if only for the glamour over a new cpu architecture. The current iMacs are indeed powerful enough to edit hd video. The only thing the sandybridge update will do is give you an incremental increase in time savings. The next iMac won't do what you want it to do either if you want to add hard drives.

Just be patient with the upgrade though. There is no point to get the current iMac when a new one is just around the corner, and you're about to switch over. Apple is very selective in when it wants to upgrade its lineup. They were extremely quick about jumping on the nehalem xeons with the mac pros, and were extremely quick about jumping on the lynnfield bandwagon for their iMacs when intel first released that too. In fact they were some of the first-- if not the first, to incorporate those technologies into their computers. They're also way ahead of anybody else on the thunderbolt technology too. If they're taking their time with an upgrade they're usually reluctant about it, or are just adhering to their normal upgrade cycles. They make very few computer models comparatively to other companies, (that are also uniquely designed with proprietary hardware of their own) so you won't be seeing them updating their computers most of the time at very first mention of an upgrade.

And no apple is more a software company than hardware company (in my opinion, as I love osx and iOS), but it doesn't mean they don't make a lot of their own stuff, because they do have a lot of proprietary hardware in their devices. You could argue they're moreso a hardware company than any other company, because as I said before, they're not the company to throw stuff together and release quickly like others out there.

18. scottp78 thread starter macrumors member

That is fair! The One thing that lets me add to the system and keep the speed up on the added hard drives was the thunderbolt!! Yea I know not Right away but for what I had read soon. If this is not the case please let me know!

19. steve_hill4 macrumors 68000

steve_hill4

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

They have always been advertised as a hardware company as that's where their profits lie. They differentiate based on the complete package. If they were software, they'd be on virtually every other machine and akin to Microsoft.

That doesn't mean their software isn't better, but they use that as a draw to buy their hardware. iTMS/iTS was designed to get people to buy iPods remember. The fact it works better is only so people will buy into the experience. I've seen customers go from iPods to Macs and then buy virtually every other associated product because they've built up a belief in the company.

If they weren't a 'hardware company' would they still be in business with how they operate?

20. scottp78 thread starter macrumors member

Good Points!! I guess that is why I have been waitting! to pay more for somthing that closely configured cost less.!!!

So Please come out with it already!!!

21. TMRaven macrumors 68020

TMRaven

They're about as much a hardware company as everybody else (ie computer manufacturers have their own proprietary laptop shells, mp3 players, etc) The difference is they have their own software to put in their own hardware. That and, we all like the build quality and formfactors of their hardware over others'.
    ;)

iPhone is as much a phone as any other companies' smartphone on the market, but most people like it over the others because of its included software over the software other people have to offer.

22. omyard macrumors regular

I don't mind old tech, but I don't like buying something and then an upgrade hits. If it's rumored that an update is coming in the next few weeks then I'll give it a few weeks. After that I'll buy something.

Then if an upgrade hits I can live with what I have knowing I at least attempted to wait a set amount of time. I want an iMac by the end of May and at that point I'll buy which ever one is out. I might even bite on an 2010 model even if the 2011 model is out because I want a 27" and wouldn't mind getting a saving some scratch.

23. omyard macrumors regular

Plus right now the Big Mac is buy 1 get 1 free!

24. MTI macrumors 65816

There's a news story out that you can order that Big Mac, off the menu, made with two quarter pounder patties . . . ask for the McKinley Mac and see if the counter folks know the "off the menu items."

25. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Apple really plays close to the vest with their products. Just look how long the Mac Pro people have waited for their last refresh and probaby will need to wait for the next one.

MBP people waiting months after sandy bridge was released.

Apple prefers to stay away from the bleeding edge, so they take a few months before applying new chip sets.

Don't want to (or cannot) wait, get an iMac now.