Apple is all about pixel density. Android makers are all about screen size...

Discussion in 'iPad' started by 1080p, Mar 10, 2012.

1. 1080p macrumors 68030

1080p

If the tablet market follows the smartphone trend, expect Apple to stick with a 9.7" display for a while while Android manufacturers roll out 13"-15" iPad competitors. :p:D

2. Nightprowler macrumors regular

Unless you go legal size (for viewing legal sized docs natively) I don't see the need for anything bigger than 10 inches really, unless for specific artistic creation reasons and Wacom seems to have that covered.

3. iEvolution macrumors 65816

the 10.1 is almost too big, its foolish to go any higher after all aren't tablets about more portability as one of their selling points?

If they go higher I'd rather purchase a laptop at half the price.

I actually prefer the 7 inch kindle that I have at times because you can easily hold it and use your thumbs on the keyboard, with the 10.1 screen I have to prop it up on my leg to be able to use the keyboard.

4. redscull macrumors 6502a

redscull

you realize you can do the same with an iPad, right? Just spread with your thumbs to split the keyboard. Then all the keys are within reach, just like on a tablette.

5. iEvolution macrumors 65816

not without the tendency of my palms to touch the/screen when reaching for the center, I have small hands.

6. redscull macrumors 6502a

redscull

There is no reason to reach for the center. Maybe you misunderstand? Watch this video, or just google iPad split keyboard. It exists specifically so you can hold the iPad and type with your thumbs with no issues reaching all the keys (cause there are none in the middle).

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...wYHaDQ&usg=AFQjCNECI86Jim4_Su7d-hizFnMMeUQ6xg

7. CapnJackGig macrumors 6502a

Many Android makers are also about the quality of the screen. I'll gladly take the blacker blacks and incredibly awesome contrast of the OLED screens over a retina screen and its lousy contrast and greyish blacks.

8. master-ceo macrumors 65816

master-ceo

I want a Modern Tablet not the Ten Commandments.

9. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

About that superior contrast and blacker blacks... Enlighten yourself via Google / Wikipedia. Try the term "OLED MURA". Also Google "OLED Fading Over Time".

I was using OLEDs, in all likelihood, before you even knew what one was. Not nearly as epic as people would have you think. Don't get me wrong, LCDs have their problems, but I'll take retina (or any other high density LCD) over an OLED.

10. CapnJackGig macrumors 6502a

I used OLED screens and a retina. The mura is only a problem to people that desperately want the retina to be better. OLED produces infinitely better images than retina at this point. Hopefully Apple can address that in the future.

11. Rennir macrumors 6502

That is certainly true to a point. OLED and LCD both have their strengths and weaknesses. Android screens aren't just about being bigger. They do have better contrast (those that use OLED) and better blacks. However, it's been shown that more contrast corresponds to more eye fatigue after extended periods of time. And there's also the issue of overly vibrant colors. The iPhone's LCD display also has its own downfalls of course, some of which you listed

12. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

The term MURA (relating to OLEDs) existed before the iPad, iPhone, or even the iMac. It's been an issue relating to those for a long time.

Just ask the slew of PS Vita owners about it, they seem to notice it enough to fill the internetz up with complaints.

Personally, I could care less about contrast ratios if they're above 300:1 for any display that's not going to be used exclusively in a dark environment, it's not going to rain on your parade.

To be honest, if OLEDs existed with refresh rates and pixel density on par with LCDs, I'd serious consider one.... But right now, I'm not seeing them.

So ignoring the video driver requirements, for viewing general content, you'd rather have a 20" 1024x768 OLED, than a 20" 4096x3072 LCD?

I think you're in the minority with that one...

13. kdum8 macrumors 6502a

kdum8

Legal is fine, but most of the world uses A4 size paper which is slightly different than the US.

14. Buildbright macrumors 6502a

OLEDs are not better at producing an image. They are better at brightness but they produce unnatural colors. It really is taste but I would rather have a display that looks closer to real life. Not neon glowing lights in a backlight room. Both techs have both pros and cons.

Apple does not need to address anything as of right now they have the display and tablet to beat. If android can push out better hardware faster why did they not have a 1080p display by Christmas? Or CES?

15. Nightprowler macrumors regular

At 8.3x11.7 A4 is closer to the North American "Letter" size of 8.5x11.

Legal is 8.5x14 which is important. Not sure if it is like this everywhere, but where I am I've had municipal land registry offices reject documents that weren't on Legal sized paper.

Doesn't really matter for on screen display though I guess.