Apple is forcing (not literally) me to make a hackintosh!

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jmcgeejr, Dec 26, 2011.

1. jmcgeejr macrumors 6502

jmcgeejr

I am so tired of the slow USB speeds to my mini, I have been waiting and waiting for thunderbolt adapters or enclosures (ones that won't break the bank) or ones that don't come with drives included. I thought about the sonnet express card option but that seems like a lot of spent cash on a temporary fix.

I think I am going to build a new hackintosh so I can have my drives internal on sata, ugh so frustrating! Anyone else frustrated?

2. GGJstudios, Dec 26, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 28, 2011

GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Why not use Firewire 800? It's 2-3 times faster than USB 2.0. I'm not frustrated at all and I've never seen any limitations with FW800, even playing music and movies from an external drive.

3. simsaladimbamba

Yeah, Firewire 800 is plenty of fast, unless the FW 800 drivers are ****ed up, which they seem to be on my 2009 MBP, as my 2007 iMac is faster with the same FW 800 HDDs, and even a cheap eSATA ExpressCard adapter for my 2009 MBP copies data at almost 100 MB/s to the same HDDs, while FW 800 is somehow capping at 40 MB/s on that MBP.

4. jmcgeejr thread starter macrumors 6502

jmcgeejr

I thought about that but then again I thought firewire 800 will eventually go away too no?

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Not for a long time. Why not use it while you can? No technology lasts forever.

6. jmcgeejr thread starter macrumors 6502

jmcgeejr

I will see what I can find, are there any enclosures you know of that will allow me to have multiple drives in it and not have to raid them? I have 2 drives that I want to keep separate without raid and have access to them, like they are in my usb enclosure.

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

OWC has a number of enclosure kits. I highly recommend their products.

8. jmcgeejr thread starter macrumors 6502

jmcgeejr

I saw those but the 4 port doesn't support that and the 2 port says it spans the disks which I don't want. Cheers though.

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Well, they don't have to be in the same enclosure. Separate enclosures give you more flexibility, anyway.

10. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Look for JBOD support. (Just a Bunch of Disks). Sans Digital has some models with FW800 and JBOD support.

B

11. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Maybe. No one knows the future for sure.

But it's still available in many products.

12. drsox macrumors 65816

drsox

Why not avoid all this "local" connection nonsense and go with a LAN connected RAID NAS.
    With a GB LAN connection and 2/3 RAID drives, data rates and storage available will be more than adequate.

13. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

There are definitely more/cheaper GbE NAS enclosures than FW800.

B

14. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

Exactly! Use it since you have it. It makes no sense to not use it and I also agree that it will be around for quite a while.

15. LeandrodaFL macrumors 6502a

LeandrodaFL

Hum, a mini is lighter and smaller than the PSU on any hackintosh, not to mention is totally silent, you probably wont like yourhackintosh experience after having a Mac, I cant go back to using a 30kg computer.

Having said that, Firewire 800 is really fast, but a thunderbolt SSD would be a dream. check lacie.com

16. AngryRedTicTac macrumors regular

17. jmcgeejr thread starter macrumors 6502

jmcgeejr

thank you! I am ordering right now, this is exactly what I was looking for!

18. Mac7 macrumors 6502a

Mac7

Sorry for hijacking the thread. But how would I be able to do this?

19. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

Start off by buying a NAS. I have a Synology DS1511+ and highly recommend their products.

20. drsox macrumors 65816

drsox

Yes, get a NAS from one of the recognised vendors (Netgear, Qnap, Buffalo etc) and VERY IMPORTANT make sure the drives you buy are supported by the vendor (they usually have an official list) OR build your own and use FreeNAS or a server version of a free Linux distro - e.g. Ubuntu.

I've done both and have ended up with the Netgear ReadyNAS range. They have 2, 4 and 6 bay versions with excellent firmware - very resiliant. I have progressively upgraded from a 2 bay to a 4 bay to a 6 bay version without losing data or reinstalling.
    See their forum for current info : http://www.readynas.com/