Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gan6660

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 18, 2008
I have a 4gb 1st gen nano that overheated when it was charging. I called them and explain the problem and they said they will send a new nano out for free!

reberto

macrumors 65816
Jul 20, 2005
Burned , my gosh ...that is interesting ...glad you are ok

I remember reading about the 1G Nanos burning people when they first came out :eek: The 2GB 1st gen I had got really hot when charging, but I never found out if it would ever burn me because the screen broke so I had to RMA it for a new one :p The replacement I got didn't get hot (nor did it's screen break)

Hoopdy

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2007
it's a known issue and apple has said it will replace any 1g iPod Janos experiencing exploding batteries,etc.

marbles

macrumors 68000
Apr 30, 2008
EU mostly
I remember reading about the 1G Nanos burning people when they first came out :eek: The 2GB 1st gen I had got really hot when charging, but I never found out if it would ever burn me because the screen broke so I had to RMA it for a new one :p The replacement I got didn't get hot (nor did it's screen break)

wow , a lucky escape there ?

There really does seem to be a problem with QC at Apple these days , it's a real shame that more of the billions they make is not spent on testing products thoroughly before they are released to the general public.

This will affect them , badly .
I fear as more and more machines / iPods / iPhones are released this problem will get worse , QC needs to be top priority if they are to maintain a reputation as a quality brand .....I feel that this 'image' is already beginning to slip , Apple will become slated like MS if they are not careful.

allmIne

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2008
United Kingdom

I remember that! Whoa, bringing back memories. Used to almost drop the damn thing every time I picked it up after charging :)

andy.

allmIne

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2008
United Kingdom
wow , a lucky escape there ?

There really does seem to be a problem with QC at Apple these days , it's a real shame that more of the billions they make is not spent on testing products thoroughly before they are released to the general public.

This will affect them , badly .
I fear as more and more machines / iPods / iPhones are released this problem will get worse , QC needs to be top priority if they are to maintain a reputation as a quality brand .....I feel that this 'image' is already beginning to slip , Apple will become slated like MS if they are not careful.

I must admit, I think you have a point. My rev A MBP has had 3 charging bricks and two batteries, and has the overheating issue they all had. My brothers Macbook has both palmrests cracked. However, my previous Apple, a Powerbook G4 12in, had no problems. It used to be the case you'd give Apple a by-ball because it was revision A, but hey, we're in 2008 now, it can't work like that anymore!

Of course, just my experience :) Still love Apple!

andy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.