Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Trepex

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 5, 2007
Ottawa, Canada
So after my latest issues with this MBP, I wrote to Apple and voiced my frustrations. I received a call from one of their Executive Customer Care reps.

He is arranging to swap my defective MBP for another one. He had me go and retrieve my machine from the repair shop and is sending a courier out to pick it up tomorrow. He said I should have the new one early next week.

Props to Apple for dealing with this in a quick and respectful manner. Let's hope I have better luck with what will be my 3rd MBP :(

My most recent problem is documented here:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/357942/

First issues were defective flickering LCD and non-functioning touchpad. Wozers.

Drile

macrumors member
Apr 30, 2005
Glad you got it resolved to your satisfaction.

The first powerbook I ever purchased was DOA (twice), so I know the frustration.

Trepex

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 5, 2007
Ottawa, Canada
Thanks, all :)

I basically wrote a long and detailed account of my issues and frustrations to sjobs@apple.com. Kept things really polite and said that I really simply wanted to speak to someone who could arrange to bring my MBP in for repair but ensure that my specific case/issues were well documented so that I didn't just get it back again formatted with a clean OS install and the same issues.

The rep called me up and said it was unfortunate and unacceptable that I had to wait 3 weeks for a top case repair as well as the fact that subsequent repairs had not fixed my other issues, so he wanted to arrange for a swap for a new machine. He listened to my concerns and apologized for Apple's part in it.

I was really impressed. Thanks, Apple!

PS. Interestingly enough though, he said that at least at the Ex Cust Care level, there were no known issues regarding the latest Santa Rosa line. Ahem... seriously? He admitted that he was quite separated from the technical branch where they might hear about these things but he said that usually any significant issues make it along the grapevine...

Trepex

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 5, 2007
Ottawa, Canada
Just received this email! Yay!

Hello xxxxxx,

I have released your order for processing. You should expect to receive your new MacBook Pro within the next 3-5 Business days.

Please contact me as soon as your unit arrives so that we can discuss your Apple Care Options.

Thanks again for all your patience in this matter. It has been a pleasure working with you.

xxxxxxxx
Executive Relations
Apple Canada

905-513-xxxx Direct
905-513-xxxx Fax
xxxxxxxx@apple.com e-mail

Apple Canada
7495 Birchmount Rd.
Markham, ON
L3R 5G2​

Trepex

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 5, 2007
Ottawa, Canada
So the new MBP arrived this morning! It's a Week-39 and has an LG screen (9c67).

I did notice that the screen seems a little brighter along the entire bottom edge but I think it was partly just the angle and lighting It's extremely uniform and is not a case of tearing or bleeding like my first MBP. When I look eye-level at the bottom edge I am no longer able to discern any change in brightness and the back-lighting seems even.

I wouldn't have returned an MBP for anything like uneven back-lighting or stuck pixels since it's something that I'd adapt to quickly; however, I was happy that I didn't have any of these issues anyway :)

Most importantly, no yellowing, no defective touch-pad and it sleeps when I tell it to! hehe yay!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.