Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Original poster
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
So all this paranoia is attributed to some anecdotal evidence of failure ?

I've seem enough HDD fails in my life to know it's completely random.

hdd have specs concerning load cycles and life.

my hdd has a load cycle occur at an insane rate

i just want to stop it or reduce the frequency

i then get called paranoid and ignorant because i dont agree with apple:rolleyes:

MacSociology

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2006
Battleground Europe?!
No, most people disagree with you because they read your opening post as an accusation without any shred of proof. Maybe if you could bring some proof to backup your accusations, than people would listen to you.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
hdd have specs concerning load cycles and life.

my hdd has a load cycle occur at an insane rate

i just want to stop it or reduce the frequency

i then get called paranoid and ignorant because i dont agree with apple:rolleyes:

Call it whatever you want. My MacBook has gone through extremely heavy daily usage for 2 years and it's still chugging along fine. My iBook G4 before that went 4 years under extremely heavy use daily for over 4 years. Still fine before it was stolen [iBook].

This is complete BOGUS and BS all in one.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Original poster
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
so im confused what the consensus is

1) that this doesnt do any damage as its just a number

or

2) that it does indeed shorten your hdd but it does so to protect data as laptops are mobile...aka a tradeoff of dta protection for hdd longetivity

J the Ninja

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2008
Paste this into Terminal, and hit enter (you'll need to be logged in as an admin, I believe).

sudo pmset -a disksleep 0 sms 0

Type your password and hit enter again. You will get some warning about idle sleep. Ignore it, especially if you don't care about idle sleep.

That will change your power config file so the disk won't ever unload/spin down unless the whole system is powered down (sleep/shut down). I can't believe this got to 4 pages and no one posted that. Apple really needs to make the Energy Saver pane more useful.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.