iPhone X Apple is losing its mainstream, non-fan core with the X

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MarkB786, Dec 4, 2017.

1. MarkB786 macrumors 6502a

The X seems to be appealing to the core fan base, but so many people I know are either sticking with their current iPhone or going to another phone vendor. In our office not a single person out of 30 is remotely interested in the X. Of these, about 3/4 are iPhone users. Five of those (including me) have switched to an S8 or Note 8. In past years, there was a palpable excitement about the new phones. This round has fallen very flat. Where does Apple go from here? Yes, the X is selling well overall, but Apple is losing its mojo and edge as they slowly run out of ideas. Are the exciting days gone? Is the iPhone just another phone to most people outside of the fan base?

2. thadoggfather macrumors G3

thadoggfather

0 for 30 is pretty bad, even though a limited sample in the scope of things and statistically speaking

still...

Maybe $1k for a phone that once started at $199 isn't settling well with the masses,

the unsubsidized model just came upon us last year, with the 7.

3. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

Your sample size = 30.

I haven't been as excited for an iPhone since i got iPhone 4. My sample size? 1.

People are excited about iPhone X. Apple is just starting to keep the stores stocked. It's December.

4. g.t. rags macrumors 6502

my department is comprised of 11 people, 9 of which have iPhones, and 4 have already upgraded to the X....

your statistics are heavily flawed

5. Phone Junky macrumors 65816

Phone Junky

Or yours are...

6. KingslayerG5 Suspended

KingslayerG5

Smartphone craze ia waning. Most of the features are really gimmicks.

New way to unlock your phone
    Taller display
    Curved display
    Bezel-less display
    Animoji
    Dual lens

You know what are underrated features? Google's computational photography focusing on only one lens and Pixels' 24/7 customer support where you don't need to call or go to your carrier or retail store for answers. Apple's underrated products are AirPods.

Nothing lasts forever. Remember, AOL?

7. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

Lol your logic is heavily flawed.

8. dazz87 macrumors 6502a

The price and iOS 11.0 is rubbing people the wrong way.....

9. TravisPNW macrumors 6502a

TravisPNW

18 employees here. Nobody has the X.

In fact, I'm the only one, with the 8 Plus, who doesn't have either the 7/7 Plus or a Samsung.

That's how it is when you're a CNC machinist in a shop full of guys working in metal fabrication. Everybody cares more about beer than what phone they or someone else is using.

10. jtara macrumors 65816

I don't get it. They don't have to get an X. They can get an 8 or 8Plus, with the usual incremental improvements.

I don't see how they are losing their "non-fan" base by offering an additional choice.

11. s15119 macrumors 65816

s15119

Oh my, you know people who are not buying the X. Where can Apple go from here. It's lost it's mojo. They ran out of ideas.

What a load of unadulterated drama lama nonsense.

12. CharlesShaw macrumors 6502a

CharlesShaw

The last thing I think about is whether or not my iPhone model is popular with the masses. I'm sure that Apple will be in business for the next few years to sell me more iPhones. I can afford to buy them and don't care if my coworkers or grocery store clerks have iPhones or not.

I'm one of the very few people who own an Apple Watch. I'm special.

13. haruhiko macrumors 601

haruhiko

The majority of people don't upgrade their phones every year, they also don't buy the new phone on the first day or first month. When you get old, you don't care what the others think about your phone anymore. Actually nobody cares.

14. Tig Bitties macrumors 68030

Tig Bitties

I think the OP asks a very good question. I'm a big Nexus / Pixel fan, but almost everyone I know is on an iPhone, this is an older mature crowd that make good money. I have asked maybe 50 people in the past month if they plan to get the new iPhone X. Every one of them said no. Mainly they're are attached to TouchID and it seems FaceID scares them away. The price tag is a minor issue to them, but still an issue. And they say, hey my current iPhone works good still, no need to rush out and buy a new phone for no reason. I then explained how cool the new X and what it does, all of them, so what.

This iPhone crowd does not sound one bit excited about the X, like no urgency or lusting after the phone, like I thought some maybe would. People just don't seem to care anymore.

15. thesaint024 macrumors 65816

thesaint024

Not another "Apple has lost it's way" post. I can give you almost one trillion reasons why your anecdotal evidence of 0 for 30 is wrong and sensational.

The smartphone market has matured. There is not much than can wow people any more. Apple has been going on stability and ecosystem for a few generations now. If you're looking for super cool tricks, the Android market does that because these manufacturers are gunning for Apple. Apple makes measured advancements now, not spitballing the way Android does. Not taking sides on the iOS vs. Android war, just saying this is business. The guys who are trying to be Apple take the greater risks to get their piece of marketshare.

Most iPhone users are not "super fans". They are just regular smartphone users. Wouldn't surprise me that they don't hang on every word on youtube or MR. Most people I know are iPhone users and the majority don't know exact details of releases or specs. When they need a phone, they just buy whatever iPhone is available. But yeah, Apple is doing just fine. You can hate on them for hurting feelings, or you can buy some stock and make some money.

16. haruhiko macrumors 601

haruhiko

Smartphones are not as groundbreaking as they were in 2007-2012, the initial rush is over. As long as people can iMessage, Whatsapp, WeChat, take selfies, I don't think most of the people care what device they are on, nor they care about how edge to edge the screen is, or how advance the OLED screen is. People don't like change. If you tell them they can use Touch ID for 100 years they will. That's why the VGA port is still around.

Just like now people don't upgrade their computers/laptops anymore.

Meanwhile, I still enjoy using new technology, I'm just that kind of person. :)

17. thadoggfather macrumors G3

thadoggfather

FWIW early adoption is never a mainstream crowd

I remember having an OG and people asking if it’s an iPhone

A few people have asked if “that’s the X (or 10)”

18. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

I’m sorry but this doesn’t mean much

In my office nobody cares about phones or latest tech at all..fact is the x is selling great while note 8 from I believe barely sold a million units

Does it matter when it comes to the phone? No as the note 8 is great but how great a phone is isn’t based on who you know upgraded..

The average joe could care less about what new phones are out

19. D.T. macrumors G3

D.T.

Weird, half the people at my business have the iPhone X.

20. Michael Goff macrumors G5

Michael Goff

Only two or three people at my workplace have iPhones at all. Apple is surely doomed. I may be being sarcastic.

21. jumpman5678 macrumors member

No one cares what you or your office is doing.

22. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Not like the small sample of your office coworkers are a true and accurate comparison but you do make some valid points.
    Apple seems like they turned off a big percent of their customer base.
    Reasons for that is the introduction of face id that not many seem confident on switching to from the popular Touch ID.
    The notch on the top of the screen that many dislike and also the unreasonably high price.
    They priced themselves out by $200-300 from their competitors that been selling OLED screen and wireless Qi charging devices for years.

23. Michael Goff macrumors G5

Michael Goff

I don’t think we’ll know if they turned off a portion of their customer base until we get their numbers. Until then, it’s pure speculation.

24. dazz87 macrumors 6502a

why so mad?

25. rockitdog macrumors 68020