Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dammit Cubs

macrumors 68020
Jul 31, 2007
I got The refund!!!

So after talking to the ATT STORE Manager, Calling Apple and Talking to ATT customer Care...

I found the right lady and she finally gave in and credited my account 200 dollars which I checked online to verify. I bought my phone first day. FIRST DAY!!!! that was only 2 months ago. I also paid 200 dollars to get out of my contract with T-mobile. So I paid 800 dollars for the phone, 2 months later...not only does the phone get unlocked...but a freaking 33% price drop!!!! For what I had to do to get this phone...I and many early adopters deserve this refund.

She finally caved in and gave it to me.

-Thank God.

dagomike

macrumors 65816
Jun 22, 2007
I'm sure not many of us would have paid $600 had we known in two months it would be 33% less. I sure know I wouldn't. I waited years for an Apple phone, and 7-9 months from when it was announced/leaked. A couple more to save $200 bucks wouldn't have killed me.

I think those criticizing people wanting to try and get $200 adjustment are the ones that should grow up. If you don't feel there should be a credit, don't go get one. If you don't even have an iPhone to get a credit on, WTF are you even talking? Let people post up their experiences so others can weigh their options.

I got mine from ATT on launch day. Nearest Apple Store is an hour away, so don't think I'll be running down there on just a hope. Maybe I'll try calling, or just wait for a real policy to materialize.

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
Thye should give everyone the refund or stick only the 14 day policy. This should go for AT&T and APple direct. The backlash this is causing can't be good PR for Apple. It will get out in the mainstream news.

grafikat

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2003
I worked for a handheld mobile software company and am quite familiar with the pricing on PDA style cell phones.

Cellphones almost ALWAYS start high and then fall in price. Its the economics of new technology.

The fact that anyone is getting a discount is fantastic. Most folks would say "tough poo!"

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
So after talking to the ATT STORE Manager, Calling Apple and Talking to ATT customer Care...

I found the right lady and she finally gave in and credited my account 200 dollars which I checked online to verify. I bought my phone first day. FIRST DAY!!!! that was only 2 months ago. I also paid 200 dollars to get out of my contract with T-mobile. So I paid 800 dollars for the phone, 2 months later...not only does the phone get unlocked...but a freaking 33% price drop!!!! For what I had to do to get this phone...I and many early adopters deserve this refund.

She finally caved in and gave it to me.

-Thank God.

Found which lady, Apple, AT&T call or AT&T store?

Dammit Cubs

macrumors 68020
Jul 31, 2007
Found which lady, Apple, AT&T call or AT&T store?

Dial 611 and talking to the customer service rep. At first I didn't get it, they were saying the 14 days is to cover buyer's remorse or something. I would say something and then just pausing on the phone. i can tell she didn't have much to say or a reason to back her up. I also said that people outside of the 14 day mark were getting the refund as I saw on many message boards.

My friend also tried, that lady was a horrible... only saying one thing.."we cannot help you with this matter" over and over and over until she hung up on him.

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
The fact that we are made to call and beg for this and try to find the correct "lady" is making me even more upset over this whole thing.

Cromulent

macrumors 604
Oct 2, 2006
The Land of Hope and Glory
You people are ridiculous.

X2.

Why is it with things to do with technology that people think they can do things like this? You buy a product at the price it is advertised at the time because you think it is worth that price.

Now if the company decides to drop the price the next day, that does not change the fact that at the time of purchase you thought it was worth it.

rdrr

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2003
NH
The answers are very inconsistent or this is all a big hoax... I just called the customer support line waited online for over an hour and got that Apple's official response was that they only have a 14 day price guarantee.

Before you ask. I WAS very polite until I was told that.

soulvoid

macrumors member
Sep 5, 2007
I just called 2 stores here in CA. Fashion Valley and Otay Ranch.

Both stores said the same thing "14 day polciy".

I cannot believe that.

I understand the way the market goes and stuff and that it would have been less of a shock if they dropped the price like 6 months after the launch.

But a **** hair over 2 months....That just pisses me off.

Ill be keeping an eye out and see what happens.

Dammit Cubs

macrumors 68020
Jul 31, 2007
The answers are very inconsistent or this is all a big hoax... I just called the customer support line waited online for over an hour and got that Apple's official response was that they only have a 14 day price guarantee.

Before you ask. I WAS very polite until I was told that.

Its not a hoax for sure. Of course, most of us are not going to get it. Att does not want to refund 500,000 ($200) refunds. I just pleaded my case in saying that I paid 800 bucks for it (600+200) to be apart of the first adopters and I don't have buyers remorse or care about the 200 dollars, but if joe schmo is going to try and get it....i'll try. I was showing att that I had done more than enough to change from t-mobile (as i was a customer for 4 years) to att because of this product. THIS SPECIFIC PRODUCT and now, after 2 months...there is a 200 dollar price drop? I dont' think anyone would care if its a 100 dollar drop....but 200!!!!! That deserves atleast a call.

What steve jobs should of done is sold one version for 600 that is unlocked and another for 400 that is locked. (there are plenty of people who don't know what unlocked and locked or don't know how to get it unlocked)?

oh look apple stock drops today.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
X2.

Why is it with things to do with technology that people think they can do things like this? You buy a product at the price it is advertised at the time because you think it is worth that price.

Now if the company decides to drop the price the next day, that does not change the fact that at the time of purchase you thought it was worth it.

I bought one on 7/1, and I fully agree with that. The whining going on here is absolutely unbelievable. I thought the phone was worth what I paid on 7/1, and since it still works exactly as well as it did when I bought it, I really have nothing to complain about.

malenfant

macrumors member
Dec 31, 2006
Got both of my 8 gig phones credited, both purchased on release day.

Originally bought in OR (no tax), but this time they did a refund and reapply, so I had to pay tax as it was in WA. No big deal, happy to get the refund.

Also the warranty date is reset.
IMG_0439_500.jpg
[/IMG]
Um... why were you charged POSITIVE sales tax on a negative subtotal? Seems like you should have been refunded more than $200, not less than $200.

Currawong

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2005
Fukuoka, Japan (was Australia)
I am amazed...you buy a product...just because an upgrade comes out, Apple nor anyone else are obligated to give you any kind of credit as a result. It's incredibly generous of them to even consider it. It's a great sign of the phenomenal greed and selfishness of people in society that there are so many people who care so much about this.

Viper1100

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2007
I purchased mine 15 days ago and received it in the mail barely a week ago. Just got off the phone with a rep and got shot down. I'll try someone else tomorrow. I got suckered in by that refurb deal. They really screwed me.

suneohair

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2006
Hey, lets just pretend for a minute that a 16GB version came out for $499? Yeah yeah? Will that make you feel better!? :rolleyes:

technicolor

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2005
><><><><
I am amazed...you buy a product...just because an upgrade comes out, Apple nor anyone else are obligated to give you any kind of credit as a result. It's incredibly generous of them to even consider it. It's a great sign of the phenomenal greed and selfishness of people in society that there are so many people who care so much about this.
IT WAS NOT UPGRADED :rolleyes:

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
Um... why were you charged POSITIVE sales tax on a negative subtotal? Seems like you should have been refunded more than $200, not less than $200.

It was originally purchased in a state with no sales tax. Refund/repurchased in a state with sales tax. Even Apple can't skate Uncle Sam.

aiongiant

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2006
i called Apple and they wouldn't deal with me cause i bought it from a store
which sucks but anyways i called my local store and they told me to bring in the reciept and they will gladly give me the credit
problem is i don't live anywhere near an Apple store and bought this casue i was passing by on vacation
so i told the guy if he can accept reciept # or anything he said he can't and he talked to the manger also
it has to be someone to come in the store with the reciept and he also said a copy of the reciept is ok also but has to be a physical person there

i'm guessing to sign it off or soemthing? a bit annoying but might get a friend of mine to do it for me
i bought it 8 days ago
i have 14 days to get a refund on it...

Wolo

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2007
I just got back from the Apple Store that I bought my 8GB iPhone at (1 week after launch). I was able to get my $200 refund without a problem.

Of course, that doesn't mean they didn't try to run interference on me first.

Viper1100

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2007
I guess the problem I have is that I made my purchase 15 days ago. Apple wouldn't even budge. I've had my phone for a week (love that FedEx). I've had plenty of products that have had price reductions after I purchased them. It happens with all things tech, but to pull a price reduction so soon after launch is a bit of a surprise. I'm glad I didn't pay the full $600, but I still feel manipulated.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.