iPhone X Apple is price gouging us on with the new iPhone Xs/Xs Max!!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bambooshots, Sep 16, 2018 at 11:16 AM.

1. bambooshots macrumors 65816

This video should be required watching before anyone else starts another thread on Apple gouging us.

2. IBJanky macrumors member

IBJanky

Too long, didn't watch.

What's the jist of the video?

3. Deguello macrumors 6502a

Deguello

If you think it’s gouging, don’t buy it.

This is standard supply and demand.

4. Thi macrumors member

Thanks for the info. I'm going back to dumb phone, type writer and regular post mail.

5. AppleHaterLover macrumors 6502

It is indeed price gouging. But the correct denomination for gouging is “testing demand elasticity”. They must have a team of economists doing just that there.

Apple will keep increasing prices until demand drops - and they saw with the X that the more expensive the phone, the more people will be happy to pay through the nose and flash it around.

The day will come when people will go around with phones that cost more than the 2005 Corolla they’re in (paid in installments to eternity of course).

6. givemeanapple macrumors Demi-God

givemeanapple

It is true the prices are going up so quickly and it's dangerous because at this rate we are going to get iPhones with 64GB base model costing $5000.

7. tonybarnaby macrumors 6502a

That’s a little extreme.

8. Deguello macrumors 6502a

Deguello

It’s not gouging. “Gouging” is simply a pejorative for a price that seems unfair and is much higher than a “normal” price.

9. AppleHaterLover macrumors 6502

Coming soon to the nearest Mumbai or Dubai near you.

10. Txguy82 macrumors regular

Txguy82

Funny thing is people waiting in line for this ridiculous iPhone Apple just revealed. Unknown battery sizes + too many unknowns .. iSheeps are definitely real and very blinded individuals

11. cornerexit macrumors regular

He makes some good points for me. And covered some ground that I’m contemplating. I have a 7, and don’t want anything bigger. All these new phones are larger and for my needs the 7 is just a tad big. So given these current prices I’m more inclined to get a laptop from Apple then pay these increased prices, or get a new pad with cellular connection. I use my phone the least, my pad the most. The phone for me is my least used Apple device. It’s what I use until I can get on my pad or MM. i’ll Wait it out until they offer something smaller or a killer trade in deal from the carrier. iPhone 7 size or smaller with Face ID is what I want, SE size would be optimum for me with full screen and no Touch ID.. The older I get the less interested in these phones I am and portability is more important than anything else for me. Apple pricing on these will just push me into waiting longer between new iPhones.

The market is driven by younger folks who are addicted to their phone, and use it way more, for more things than I do. I’m not the target audience. I’ll keep an eye out for trade in deals. XR is a ways off and my carrier could always come with a killer trade in deal this holiday season. At that point I would take a X or Xs as it’s the smallest offering if the deal was very attractive. Otherwise I can wait for years. The 7 screen can be replaced and battery pack replacement is cheap. I can ride this out for years until the 7 hardware slows everything down to the crawl. I, like others, need to quit complaining about pricing, and vote with my wallet by not purchasing. I want a se size with Face ID. Remove the bezels, and home button and I’d have the perfect phone. OLED screen and I’ll take aluminum frame to save weight. All these new phones are phablets to me. My 7 in a case barely fits into my center console in the car. I look at the XS and any + sized iPhone and see a Mac mini.

12. Deguello macrumors 6502a

Deguello

The absolute nerve of people making choices different from yours!

13. smirking macrumors 65816

smirking

I love how at around 6:00 of the video, his dog is just sitting mesmerized in the background staring at him get really excited.

It's a good video that's worth watching. He makes a lot of very good points.
    • You're not being gouged because they're not jacking up the price just to jack it up. They're simply pricing their products as a consistent 40% margin as they have been for many years.
    • Even though they're not gouging you, it's not a good value and he doesn't think you should buy it.
    • Pricing on these phones are reaching laptop levels because they're getting to be like laptops, but maybe you should buy a laptop instead. It's much better value and a better experience than a phone for a lot of things.

14. OVERTASK macrumors 6502

The X pricing and subsequent demand was actually a pretty good example of the Veblen effect, I imagine the Max in Gold will likewise prove to be quite popular for the same reason despite lack of non-cosmetic differentiating features.

15. smirking macrumors 65816

smirking

I think it's probably going to be some time before the hardware in even an iPhone 7 becomes too slow to properly run iOS. Somewhere around iPhone 7, we hit that point that we hit with laptops that even the ones that haven't aged gracefully are still more than enough for a lot of people's needs four years later. One of my laptops is a 2009 MBP that I just got a new battery for because I expect it to be still servicable as an emergency device for a while longer.

Battery replacement kits for the iPhone 7 are only $30 through iFixit.com. I haven't done one yet, but it doesn't look too hard to me. I'll probably take advantage of the great $30 Apple battery replacement offer of 2018 before the end of this year though and hopefully won't ever have to find out how hard or easy the replacement is.

16. OVERTASK macrumors 6502

iPhone Edition 16GB for $5000, 64GB for $10000 and 512GB for $50000

17. bambooshots thread starter macrumors 65816

You guys, thanks for taking the time to have watched the video and have made meaningful posts. My Thread title is obviously sarcasm and one reason the phones cost what they cost is NOT because Apple is trying to gouge ya.

18. cornerexit macrumors regular

Agree with you. Phone isn’t important me as others. I don’t live my life on mine. I use it for phone calls and email primarily and I don’t text a lot and loathe the social media apps with a passion. I run some home automation, take a pic once in a while, a still, not glamour shots by Deb to post online. Calculator, iPod everyday use, and use safari when I’m stuck somewhere. I am required to have one by work so I have to carry and somewhat keep up. I don’t enjoy watching videos on any phone, phablet or otherwise.

The truth is the market is being driven by people who use the phone an awful lot, live their life on it, heavy social media use, heavy cam/vid use, etc. I just don’t fit the demo for these new phones. If anything these prices have triggered me to think about how addicted to them people are. I can’t go to a movie without someone breaking out their phone. My gym is littered with campers on the phone, and driving anywhere I encounter very dangerous drivers who are surfing. If anything my use is going down because I don’t want to be like these people. The phone/social media combo, to me, is a plague on society.

They’ll offer a smaller offering at some point, too many don’t want a phablet. And if they don’t, like you said, hardware is good enough on mine to last years. I will order some new holster/case combos in case I break mine. $100 vs. $1000.

19. givemeanapple macrumors Demi-God

givemeanapple

You're right, they'd be generous enough to bump it from 64GB to 128GB :D

20. OVERTASK macrumors 6502

128 would cannibalise 256 sales, unless they did 128 and 512, which they should have done imo.

21. ZombiePete macrumors 68020

ZombiePete

22. JSB1540 macrumors 6502

"gouging" seems a very extreme term! Gouging is a gas station tripling the price of gasoline during a storm (e.g. Hurricane Florence) I believe the term would more appropriately apply for essential commodities and services. If you don't want it - don't buy it. As for me, I did.

23. kargurin macrumors regular

kargurin

24. ivanwi11iams Contributor

ivanwi11iams

I always find it weird, how some try to tell people how to spend their hard earned money.
    After seeing the release of the Note 9, and now the latest iPhones, clearly, this is the new age, i.e. $1000 + up.

After all, we are the ones asking for these devices to perform most of the new features and services, that they do and offer. Surely you are not expecting it all to be 'free'? Rhetorical, of course...

25. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

Not bothering with the video. I make my own choices and do not let others advise me on how to spend my money.