Apple is replacing MB CD 2.0 with C2D 2.2 Tomorrow; have questions

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by theotherguy, Nov 10, 2007.

1. theotherguy macrumors member

Hello Mac Community.

I bought a MacBook in summer 06 with a 2.0 Core Duo that has been having enough problems that Apple is going to replace it tomorrow with a 2.2 Core 2 Duo, the middle model. I am pumped to finally have a computer whose screen does not turn on and off depending on its mood.... (its been to the repair facility 3 times at this point).

My Questions are:
    (1) I have Leopard installed with Time Machine. Has anyone restored a computer using Time Machine? Should I just wait at the Retail Store while they migrate the old to the new? If I loose the document I am writing now, I would die, not to mention my 5 years collection of music and email history.

(2) Are there real differences in the computing experience between the Core Duo & the Core 2 Duo? I use this for email, internet, music, and writing. I don't game or do graphical stuff. What type of improvement would I notice or more importantly, if something does change, what would it be so I'm not caught unawares. I know about "Faster graphics! Faster processor! Faster [whatever]!" What I'm asking is; does the new hotness make me a better basic user? I think I know the answer, but tossing out out there.

(3) Any other input would be welcomed. I'm not to keen on what questions I should be asking, please throw them out as they arise sua sponte.

Thanks for the time. This website is one of the best. Props to The Creator

2. jbg232 macrumors 65816

jbg232

Here are some benchmarks from http://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html:

Core 2 Duo 2.2 ghz - 1190
    Core 2 Duo 2 ghz - 976
    Core Duo 2 ghz - 968

So I guess that's a 23% speed increase which is not too shabby but actually less than I was expecting when I saw it. Intel claims that moving to Core 2 technology increases speed by about 30%. Maybe these benchmarks don't test that very well but the performance increase from Core 2 Duo vs. Duo itself seems pretty negligible... anyone else have an explanation for this?