Apple is replacing my 17" uMBP, and I have a question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by simplemind, Mar 27, 2009.

1. simplemind macrumors member

UT (for the time being, cant leave soon enough)
    So I am getting a replacement uMBP from Apple and wondering what is the best way to move my data over from my old one? Target disk mode or re-install of all programs. I have had this MBP for about six weeks now, so there is not alot of data, just alot of programs...

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Swapping out the hard drives would be the easiest bet if they let you do that.

3. simplemind thread starter macrumors member

UT (for the time being, cant leave soon enough)
    only problem with that is, I am getting an upgrade on the HHD....;)

4. m1stake macrumors 68000

I'd just get the data you need off of it. They're doing you a favor (Unless you're paying for the drive upgrade).

5. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Migration Assistant/Target Disk Mode. I'd be annoyed if I had to reinstall every single application unless it's like one or two...:p MA/TDM doesn't take that long anyway.

6. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Clone to the larger drive? I want to trust Migration Assistant with moving applications but it still seems like voodoo when it comes to arcane /Library/Application Support folders and other / level stuff that's hidden.

7. chris.robison macrumors regular

Time Machine backup, then Migration Assistant or Restore From Time Machine when you first turn the new one on.

I just did it this morning with the MBP they replaced for me. Its very easy.