Apple is replacing my computer!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by interlaced, Feb 9, 2010.

1. interlaced macrumors 6502a

interlaced

Okay, so here's the story. My 2006 Macbook Pro has been through five repairs in the last 4 months for the same problem, which was never solved. So last week, I called up Applecare and they offered to replace my computer. SWEET. I didn't put up a fuss or anything, just explained the situation and they went through my repair history. They offered to replace my 2.33ghz with the base 2.53ghz model MBP and told me to await further instructions from another representative. In the interim, I went on the Forums and I've been reading about a possible update. Yesterday the rep called, but I missed it and wasn't able to call back. Then last night I saw that Best Buy post and also remembered about Macworld which made me realize that MBP updates are coming. SOON.

So now here's my dilemma. Do I wait a bit to see if MBP updates are released before trying to call this lady back? Or do I just call now and stick with what they're gonna give me?

I totally understand that offering me a new computer is amazing in itself, and that I'm being greedy when I say I want the newer one, but I wanna hear your opinions! :D

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Ummm you don't get to dictate when you get your machine. FYI if they offer today and you refuse they will note it and move on. They've made reasonable efforts to replace your machine and you've refused, reasons are unimportant to them.

Take what you can get now. Tell me how the most recent MBP is no good to you. You're greedy as you said.

3. WeegieMac Guest

WeegieMac

You've answered your own question ... don't be so greedy.

You've had a 2006 machine go through four repairs and have no resolution, Apple offer you a machine superior to the one you currently have, and because you'd rather willy wave and have "the latest", you're questioning it.

Take the machine they're offering, it's better and more than 3 years newer than your current system that's been through numerous repairs.

See common sense.

4. interlaced thread starter macrumors 6502a

interlaced

Good points. I just tried calling her but again no answer. She did send me an email so I'll reply to it now. Thanks!! :)

5. WeegieMac Guest

WeegieMac

When that shiny new Macbook Pro with 2009 specs arrives in it's nice sealed box (and identical design to the models on sale today), you'll be grinning like a Cheshire Cat.

Like so: :D

6. interlaced thread starter macrumors 6502a

interlaced

LOL. I'll be smiling as long as it doesn't have the problems this one has.

7. nigameash macrumors 6502

What you could do is get the machine from apple (I've had a machine replacement and it normally takes about 2 weeks time) and then re-sell it and wait for the newer ones to roll out?

However if the newer models come out within the next week or 2, under normal circumstances apple will send you the latest ;)

8. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Agree completely. Take what has been offered, and enjoy it, for, as Weegie Mac says, you'll be grinning like the Cheshire cat. Forget about updates, Apple will give you the latest that they can; rather, applaud the fact of reasonable customer service.

Cheers and good luck

9. Habitus macrumors 6502a

Habitus

Why not take the free replacement? If the replacement MBP meets your needs, why wait for a new one?

Sounds like the replacement is your best choice.

Habitus :apple:

10. Lloyd Christmas macrumors regular

Offer to pay money

If you want the new version so badly, I would ask apple to give you a credit and apply that to your new purchase. I dont think they would say no to you spending more money on your computer. Thats what I would do. Lloyd