Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jgunn

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2008
Just FYI for those that accidentally upgraded to 4.3

does that mean you can just get the 4.2.1 firmware and restore to it in itunes without an issue? My friend was silly enough to upgrade and he wants xbmc on it.

thanks

D-Dave

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2010
This seems to be only true for devices not allowed to run 4.3.

So downgrading from 4.3 will not work (I just tried as I have a serious battery issue using 4.3)

declandio

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2009
London, UK
This seems to be only true for devices not allowed to run 4.3.

So downgrading from 4.3 will not work (I just tried as I have a serious battery issue using 4.3)

If you manage to get the blobs for 4.2.1 then you will be able to downgrade to 4.3.

I think they started re-signing them for some reason. It probably won't last very long so grab your blobs while you can.

jgunn

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2008
just wanted to say thanks. I successfully downloaded 4.2.1 from the web and downgraded without a hitch. Now I have it untethered jailbroken with xbmc installed.

The Mad Hatter

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2004
SoCal
I know this may be a stupid question, but how do you get the SHSH blobs for the ATV2?

When I tried via My laptop and TinyUmbrella, it didn't show up... and since Cydia doesn't actually work as an app on ATV2. How do you get the blobs?

My inquiring mind would like to know. ;)

optophobia

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2007
Hudson MA
I know this may be a stupid question, but how do you get the SHSH blobs for the ATV2?

When I tried via My laptop and TinyUmbrella, it didn't show up... and since Cydia doesn't actually work as an app on ATV2. How do you get the blobs?

Hit the save SHSH button on tinyumbreall when the ATV2 is connected to your laptop. (itunes should be closed)

jgunn

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2008

I didn't get the blobs, I didn't need to. Apple are still signing, which means I can downgrade and apple will still sign off at the end of the restore.

I could now get the blobs for 4.2.1 I just haven't but I should, fool me once and all that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.