Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

borgqueens

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 10, 2013
Denmark
So about those shipping times for the iMac. Do apple not have the manpower to config a iMac these days? The configurations to my iMac do not have to take more the an hour to do. However still it will most likely arrive the 8th october.

I´d gladly pay the same and have Apple ship my iMac and the items for installment now. Then I´d install it my self in no time. Unfortunately they do not offer that option.

Am I the only one who thinks Apple need more manpower to push our new iMac out in a more reasonable timeline?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
With Apple selling over a million Macs per month, it's inevitable that some will have to wait a bit to receive them. Be patient. It will arrive.

borgqueens

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 10, 2013
Denmark
I´m getting my iMac as the last on even thou I ordered express shipping because I do not think Apple will ship to Denmark before there are more who ordered something here in Denmark.

Let´s start a ried to pass the time :rolleyes:

----------

Perhaps Apple is very busy making the new rMBP Haswell. Perhaps they underestimated the hunger for iMac after an silent update.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
Well, mine was delivered much faster then promised. They shipped it on 01.10 and it arrived in Switzerland today, on 2.10(!!!). So its actually rather amazing. As to the time required to build and setup a CTO machine, there is not much one can do. I don't think the few days wait is that bad. And no, Apple is by no means understaffed.

Spacial

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2013
They could very well require more employees to carry the load.

Or perhaps the onslaught of good competition has them adrift in a sea of uncertainty.

Or there's the possibility of too much infighting.

Who knows, but I'd sure like to see them return to the once dignified, professional, well planned group they were.

Instead of fear based bad mouthing the competition, they once were focused, imaginative, serious and highly productive. Never afraid of change they made things happen.

That's the Apple I trusted, respected, and spent massive sums of money with.

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
There's always a rush when new models come out, whether it's an iPad, an iPhone, an iMac, or any of the laptops.

The assembly lines only have a certain capability and it is way too expensive to add more lines. It's not a question of how many people are there. be patient.

ElectronGuru

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2013
Oregon, USA
China can be accused of many things, not being able to scale to increased production needs is not one of them. As has been said, new models take time to push through the system, but there are other factors as well.

The largest army of people still requires time to get up to speed with a new design. Until then, the units per day per person will be less.

New designs require extra layers of quality control. This slows things down.

New designs require new parts, which aren't sitting in boxes in the next room like the last model. One part in 1000 arrives late and everything is held up.

Dealers all over the world are waiting for the standard models to arrive in quantity. Meanwhile, custom builds get in the way.

Custom builds are best done on custom assembly lines, that get hit hardest with new models.

borgqueens

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 10, 2013
Denmark
At this time it feels like Apple hates me. I see persons in here who ordered modified iMac days after I did and with standard shipping already gotten there iMac now. I ordered with express shipping and here on the last workday for them it´s still processing items or as I like to say not processing any items yet...

Comon Apple it´s my turn now. It´s me the one without anymore patience :confused::(

borgqueens

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 10, 2013
Denmark
Silly 1st world problems. Wait your turn and quit whining.

I can build a pc in less then 4 hours. If it takes Apple more then 7 workdays which is already at there last few hours then they must be undermanned if it takes so long to build a then they sure are not deserving the rank as the number 1 company brand.

bp1000

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2011
I can build a pc in less then 4 hours. If it takes Apple more then 7 workdays which is already at there last few hours then they must be undermanned if it takes so long to build a then they sure are not deserving the rank as the number 1 company brand.

You are assuming they have all the parts. Most large companies have JIT manufacturing lines; where they ship the necessary components from their suppliers to assemble the product once the order is placed.

If 3 factories in the world assemble for the 3 continents also developed the component or even stocked enough for millions of units the factory would be enormous plus not very efficient or profitable.

I think they probably have to order in the components for BTO specs, even if some are in stock they can't pick them as they are allocated to other customer orders or common BTO specifications for quick shipping.

Apple will have off the shelf configurations sitting in a warehouse which they calculated should satisfy demand. They probably have a small percentage of those with fusion drives too.

The assembly of the iphone 5s is a good example. Apple can assemble them pretty quickly but the manufacturing of the touch screen and camera parts are said to be delayed. Until their parts come in the product line slows, nightmare of the supply chain management.

I think most people here could build a PC in 4 hours if you had all the components. Likelihood is yours for the iMac havent even been made yet or they are on order from their production factories to your regional assembly hub.

JustMartin

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2012
UK
Well, the answer is simple, surely? Cancel the order because it's not being delivered quickly enough.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I can build a pc in less then 4 hours.
How long does it take you to build a million of them? You act like yours is the only one they have to build. You're complaining about something you don't fully understand, because there's no way you know all the factors behind the scenes that go into Apple's manufacturing process.

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK
So about those shipping times for the iMac. Do apple not have the manpower to config a iMac these days? The configurations to my iMac do not have to take more the an hour to do. However still it will most likely arrive the 8th october.

I´d gladly pay the same and have Apple ship my iMac and the items for installment now. Then I´d install it my self in no time. Unfortunately they do not offer that option.

Am I the only one who thinks Apple need more manpower to push our new iMac out in a more reasonable timeline?

It’s just launched & there are a huge amount of orders to deal with. When I ordered my iMac last December I had a 3 week wait. Didn’t bother me at all.

If you don’t want to wait, then cancel your order and try again in 2 months when there will be a strong inventory and a very short lead time, perhaps then you won’t feel so hard done by?

noisycats

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2010
The 'ham. Alabama.

Than go ahead and build one. In the meantime, perhaps pick up a hobby other than calendar watching.

All this gnashing of teeth over a computer... :confused:

kbfr08

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2007
How long does it take you to build a million of them? You act like yours is the only one they have to build. You're complaining about something you don't fully understand, because there's no way you know all the factors behind the scenes that go into Apple's manufacturing process.

Was just coming here to post the same thing, I can understand if the delay was a month or so, but it seven days which is more than reasonable for BTO configs.

This guy thinks apple should switch their production line every time someone orders a computer. The thing is, apple likely pools the BTO orders to be assembled on the same day, that way workers aren't changing the components in their assembly line 500 times a day. This makes the production process quicker for everyone, since both pre-configured and BTO computers can get produced in batches.

The same thing happens in the auto industry, you can order your car in any color you want, you'll just have to wait for it. Sure, you can paint your car in a couple days, but you don't have to worry about changing up your production line to accommodate the special color.

s15119

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2010

Then build a PC and you'll have nothing to whine about.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.