Apple is watching..err...listening...

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by versifiercsvt, Sep 29, 2014.

1. versifiercsvt macrumors newbie

So two nights ago, my wife and I were getting ready for bed. I turned the alarm clock on manually on the iPhone(iOS 8.0.2 / iPhone 6). I connected the lightning cable, then hit home key, then locked phone. Laid the phone on my side table anc confirmed it was locked. TV in our room was off. Wife and I spoke a little but not much within a 3 minute span. I turned back over to side table and noticed SIRI was activated. I just stared at the phone for a few seconds in silence...and SIRI never stopped and never cancelled itself or said, "Sorry I did not understand that.." or whatever generic response she'd typically come up with. It was as if the phone was just listening.

Neither of us said 'Hey Siri'...a function that I do have turned on. I figured maybe we said something close enough. But I found it odd SIRI didn't cancel itself out when there were no direct commands after I noticed it being activated.

I'm not exactly sure how 'Hey SIRI' works, but I figured that since it only works when connected to a power source, that the MIC is some how active or sleep mode active. Considering how Apple forced U2 onto all of us, who's to say they're not listening to us when we're charging our phones. LMAO. Far-fetched but I think I may keep 'Hey siri' turned off for a while.

2. WordMasterRice macrumors 6502a

I've been running iOS 8 since June, I can assure you that what you are seeing is Hey Siri. In my opinion it is awfully quick to activate, it will pretty regularly activate due to my TV when my phone is on my dock, it also happens quite a bit just talking to people, nothing that sounds particularly close to Hey Siri.

The other thing that I've noticed is that once it does activate it is very aggressive to try and match something else, so if it doesn't understand what you are saying it will keep listening until it does understand some action or something.

3. versifiercsvt thread starter macrumors newbie

I like Hey Siri a lot too...will keep it off though til it's a little less sensitive. And as far as conspiracy theories, what a great way to hear what iPhone owners are doing whenever the opportunity presents itself!!

4. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Tim is going to be utterly disappointed. Out of the 300,000,000 iPhone users he has taken a liking to listening to your conversations.:D

5. versifiercsvt thread starter macrumors newbie

LOL. Not my convos he's liking. Think he's on an endless search for that one moment he catches some role playing action between man and wife where wife continuously refers to her husband as Tim Cook.:eek:

6. BlueJ85 macrumors newbie

Apple is watching..err...listening...

You know I have a funny story. I always put my phone in airplane mode at night. A few nights ago Siri woke me repeating something about Siri not available connect to the Internet over and over till I woke up. It was pretty freaky and I told my husband I think I'm messing with my phone in my sleep. But really though I wasn't at least when I woke up. It was definitely weird to say the least.

7. navodwickra macrumors 6502

navodwickra

Well that has happened to me once or twice during iOS 8 beta. I was charging my phone next to my PC and watching a movie. Suddenly Siri acted up. It's probably because it heard something closer to 'Hey SIRI'.

8. bozzykid macrumors 68020

I never understood why they choose "Hey Siri". It is way to easy to match incorrectly. I'm guessing they didn't want to use "OK Siri" because that is how Google does it but having the first word be two syllables means it is much easier to match correctly.

9. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Someone call Alex Jones or Jessie Ventura and alert them to this thread.

10. Dan70 macrumors regular

Hey Siri can be activated by close sounding words so even if you didn't say "Hey Siri", something close will have activated it. I turn it off simply because with the microphone on all the time when charging, it meant the time for it to reach a full charge took longer.

11. reese2147 macrumors regular

Jesse Ventura is too busy uncovering the truth behind the HUMANZEE

12. Manatlt macrumors 6502a

True...although this doesn't effect the newer iPads and iPhones 6 and 6+ using the 12w iPad charger. They will always fast charge.