Apple Issues Software Update Addressing System Hanging on 13-Inch MacBook Air

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 30, 2011.

1. brilliantthings macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

Happened to me the first time last week. Nice to have an update.

2. Mattie Num Nums macrumors 68030

Mattie Num Nums

I have to say; after switching from my i7 Macbook Pro to my Air, even though the Air is slower, I could never switch back to anything other than the Air. The form factor is absolutely amazing!

3. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

My boss's MBA had this issue, it was quite annoying. Surprised it took Apple this long to correct such a major issue, and I'm rather amazed that it happened at all. iTunes should not be able to cause a full system crash to this extent.

I actually fixed it already, though; I read all the different solutions people had been trying, and did them all. i.e., I reinstalled iTunes, repaired permissions in safe mode, rebooted twice, then shut down, restarted and reset the PRAM. After that- it worked like a dream.

4. steadysignal macrumors 6502a

steadysignal

just did both updates on my 13 MBA. all working as it should...

5. Gemütlichkeit macrumors 65816

Gemütlichkeit

13" mbp's are doing just fine with it :rolleyes:

6. emulator macrumors 6502a

emulator

Good one? The "Apple cannot do wrong" attitude is the lowest. Also, this is surely a hot front page news item. :D

7. rdlink macrumors 68040

rdlink

Was happening to me this week. Glad they closed this one so quick.

8. deancs macrumors newbie

The apple update is an OSX patch not an iTunes patch. The updated files are operating system libraries that are used by iTunes and most probably other applications, so there may be other audio player apps that could also hang the MBA.

9. wovel macrumors 68000

Wow, you literally went out of your way to find something to complain about.

10. KnightWRX macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

If it really is happening on 11" models also, his complaint is justified. Why are you attacking him ?

11. KPOM macrumors G5

For what it's worth, although it doesn't show up on Software Update if you have an 11" model, if you download it from the Support site, it will install on an 11" model.

12. toddybody Guest

toddybody

"This update addresses an issue that makes the system unresponsive when using iTunes."

Wait, so this doesnt just happen on Windows? Whew, for a while I started believing the stories of OSX perfection.

13. slapguts macrumors 6502a

slapguts

Perfect timing. Today was the day I had set aside the time to do a full reinstall to get back to 10.6.6.

My MBA locked up every time I opened iTunes. Haven't been able to sync my phone for awhile now. I was getting scared of not being able to back it up, I'm so close to getting all 3 stars on Angry Birds.

14. fswmacguy macrumors 6502

fswmacguy

Fantastic!

This just recently started happening to me.

Plug in iPod to charge, iTunes starts up, total system freeze. Incredibly weird.

Glad it's fixed.

15. GooMan macrumors regular

GooMan

Glad this is fixed. It was driving me crazy!!!

16. M87 macrumors 65816

Hmmm, I haven't noticed this issue on my 13" MBA.

17. JAT macrumors 603

I know, right?! They came to my house and smashed my Core Duo Mini, because nobody should use such a crappy cpu. :rolleyes:

18. indiekiduk macrumors 6502

Hopefully this also fixes the hang when Xcode is running

19. MartiNZ macrumors 65816

MartiNZ

First time iTunes caused any issue with mine was just after applying this update and restarting. It caused the machine to heat up something chronic, where it is usually totally cool, and made the fans come on, which is usually difficult. It also stopped it from sleeping :(. Quitting iTunes fixed everything; then I shut down, will see what happens next.

20. JGowan macrumors 68000

JGowan

After updating to 10.6.7, my MBP stutters bigtime when I'm using my Sega Genesis emulator through Rosetta. Klax is no longer fun! :^(

21. 314631 macrumors 6502a

Hehe this is a nice fix. I thought the issue was me mounting iTunes from a combination of SMB stored music and the iTunes Library files stored on Dropbox. :cool:

22. akulbe, Mar 31, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2011

akulbe macrumors newbie

Odd issue after applying this update.

I work in an office that doesn't have wireless that I can connect to, so I have to use the USB Ethernet Adapter.

Previously it worked in either port. Now it only works in the right port. Funny thing is that the left port is not dead. It charges/syncs my iPhone just fine. However, the network adapter does not seem to work. The system says the cable is unplugged.

When I plug that same adapter into the right side USB port... it works as expected.

I'm not sure if it's tied to the update, or not... but that's the only thing that has changed.

UPDATED: I don't normally shut down my MBA. I just put it to sleep. I don't know why I didn't think of a reboot sooner, but once I rebooted my MBA, the USB Ethernet Adapter worked just fine, from both right and left USB ports. \o/

23. unr1 macrumors regular

24. unr1 macrumors regular

just tried switching my USB ethernet from the right to the left plug.
    Works just fine.
    I'm running 10.6.7

13" MBA using the Apple ethernet->USB adapter.

Damn I love this laptop.

25. GedBlue macrumors member

GedBlue

I had this issue but just thought it was a temporary or one off thing.

Glad apple addressed it as soon as it became known.

I love the "it just works....eventually quote".

BEST LAPTOP EVER ! :)