Apple: "It's your box, do with it what you please"

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by localoid, Apr 6, 2007.

1. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

Engadget reports they "had a word with Apple yesterday", asking whether (or not) enthusiasts really are in fact having services and hacks shut down through surreptitious software updates and backdoors into the Apple TV.

And, according to Engadget: Apple's not fighting back against Apple TV hacks

2. robPOD macrumors 6502

Great, hopefully this will mean there is no anti hacking firmware updates

3. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

There probably won't be any 'anti-hacking' updates, but there's absolutely no guarantee that your hacks will continue to work after an update. Apple will just turn around and tell you that it's your fault for messing around and that's that :p

4. Max Payne macrumors 6502a

5. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

good to hear, but then again, you can't be mad at Apple when or if an update renders your hack useless, its your risk. but certainly i don't think they're going to be going out and purposefully undermining the hacks, because i think they realize its a selling point.

6. Avatar74 macrumors 65816

Right... The method for enabling syslog capture in the Darwin backend of OSX 10.4 is considerably different from OSX 10.3... When my syslog stopped working it wasn't because Apple actively sought to destroy my "hack". It was because changes to the backend structure were incidentally incompatible with the way syslog used to be enabled. It's up to me to find the right way to enable syslog to the backend so that my third party router (read: NOT APPLE'S PROBLEM) can route syslog traffic back to that machine and have it stored.

7. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

And some of those hacks may become standard features. Apple users/consumers are the best developers. ;)

8. Cult Follower macrumors 6502a

Cult Follower

Why would Apple care, if they break it doing one of these hacks they will have to buy a new one.