Carrier Apple IUP question about keeping original after upgrade

ssledoux

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
Okay, so I used my upgrade plan and preordered my X Max. I know they suspend charging you for your old line to give you time to return the phone.

What if you didn’t return your old phone? Like could someone else take it and just pay you the amount of the payment, and use it on a different (same carrier) plan?

I have a friend whose daughter really wants my 8+ but doesn’t know if she can pay outright for the balance. I’m wondering if I could offer to let her just pay me the monthly charge for my original line and keep and use that phone, but I’m not willing to do anything to compromise how my new phone will function.

Anyone have experience with this?

Shadowbech

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2011
Apple iPhone World
THen you'll end up paying two loans. You sure can sell the 8 Plus to your friend as long as they are aware. And if they are aware and still wants to buy it, you sure can have them pay you the monthly charge for the remainder of the loan.

ssledoux

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
Yeah I knew I’d still have to pay the loan; just wondered if they would actually be able to set up and use that other phone with a different AT&T account while I was still making the payments, and had my new phone up and running on my AT&T account.

Bottom line - I don’t want to do anything to compromise my new phone operating properly, and I also don’t want to cause any issues with my payment plans either.

Shadowbech

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2011
Apple iPhone World
Yeah I knew I’d still have to pay the loan; just wondered if they would actually be able to set up and use that other phone with a different AT&T account while I was still making the payments, and had my new phone up and running on my AT&T account.

Bottom line - I don’t want to do anything to compromise my new phone operating properly, and I also don’t want to cause any issues with my payment plans either.
Yes it's doable, as the iphone is still unlocked. Plus IUP phones are not tied to the carrier. So they can stick their AT&T sim card and will work just fine. And no it won't compromise your new phone operating properly.

Pipper99

macrumors 68030
Aug 14, 2010
Fort Worth, TX
Thank you for asking this. I have a similar situation, and I was trying to figure out all the potential ramifications. I want to change my new Max from the IUP to an outright purchase and give my X, from which I’m upgrading, to my wife and just keep paying on that loan (or just pay it off, which might be my only option at this point since I’m assuming the original loan was cancelled). I’ll take the Max to the Apple Store after I pick it up, and hopefully, they’ll be able to work their magic.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.