Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
So my mom liked the looks of iWork and bought it with her MacBook last friday. So she's only been playing around with it for the weekend, and I haven't really dont anything with it, but she had questions that I couldn't answer because I know nothing about it, so I recommended she go to the "iWork Workshop" yesterday. She wanted me to come with, and since I am interested in learning Pages and Keynote, I came too.

Drove all the way to Oakbrook, and was given a short demo by someone who clearly had never used the program before (he was really nice though). But he seemed to be learning more from his demo than we were, and we had only been using it for a weekend!

Anyway, obviously none of her questions were answered, and I even showed him a thing or two just by guessing what features did based on my Quark experience and plain old page-layout common sense.

It was a shame.

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
max_altitude said:
That is a shame. Maybe you should consider asking for a refund on the class?

Well even though it was free, I still expected the person to at least know what he was talking about to some degree other than zero. :eek:

I mean seriously the demo consisted of him dragging a picture from Safari into Pages, moving it around. Opening some themes in keynote, really simple stuff...

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
Hmm,

I've had similiar experiences on a few courses (photoshop, theatre etc)

Always ask what level the course is aimed at, what background are partipicants expected to have, and what the experience of the person teaching is.

Seems like your course was aimed at iWork / general computing beginners and newbies. If your mum didn't have you around, then it's possible the course might have been a perfect match for her.

You, sirrah, with expertise in Quark, a notoriously difficult program to learn, are probably already pretty well versed in deducting how programs work, and passed that onto your mum, bringing her past novice standard very quickly.

..RedTomato..

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
RedTomato said:
Always ask what level the course is aimed at, what background are partipicants expected to have, and what the experience of the person teaching is.

This is a good idea. She and I would still like to take an actual class or something on iWork...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.