Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JW8725

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 8, 2005
UK
Anyone know how to turn the apple jingle on startup OFF? No disrespect..etc.

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
Ha ha haaa!
Hm, jingle, that's the first time I've heard it called that. Whenever I think of jingle I think of a 60's black & white commercial for laundry detergent. :p

Of course I think it would be super-cool to replace the modern start-up chime with the old Mac Plus chime. :D Edit: Ooh, or better yet, the Hawaiian Death Chimes! Watch any Mac aficionado do a double-take and watch their heart jump into their throat. :D

And then, there's always the mute key... if you mute your system before shutting down/restarting, it will normally apply to the startup chime too. But that's kind of a pain if you use sound often...

James Philp

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2005
Oxford/London
As far as i know the chime is firmware.
The chimes are subtly different on each system too, or so it seems!
I like them personally, but I'm assume you want to get rid of them because you're in a sensitive environment?! (It better be :p )
With OS X you shouldn't need to restart your system too often though! It's actually better for Macs to be left on or slept.
Before a restart make sure your system is muted - simple!

joecool85

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2005
Maine
I normally end up restarting my PB once every 3-4 months because of updates and thats it...other than that it sleeps or is being used.

JW8725

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 8, 2005
UK
is it safe to leave the the mac on like this? Also what about my electric bills? Pardon me but im new to all this.

James Philp

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2005
Oxford/London
in sleep mode it uses very little electricity. look here if you want detailed electricity info.
Yes, it is very safe to leave the mac on like this. some people go weeks if not months before a restart. logging out/in helps clear ram, and actually leaving a Mac on overnight helps, as they run janitor programs in the middle of the night.

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
Each model used to have it's own chime, but since the original iMac, they've been pretty standardized. Which is sad, because the different chimes were cool, my favorite was the PowerMac 6100, it was a guitar chord...

and Macs/OS X = designed to be left on all the time. Put it to sleep when you're not around. It's actually better for the equipment.

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
I just plug in some dummy headphone jacks from the parts dept. of Radio Shack.

redeye be

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2005
BXL
Lacero said:
I just plug in some dummy headphone jacks from the parts dept. of Radio Shack.
On my mini the chime sounds through the internal speaker, no matter what is connected. I don't mind though, i rarely hear it.

For those who want to hear them all
http://www.mactracker.ca/
a little app with lotsa chimes (and product info on macs).

mcarnes

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2004
USA! USA!
There is a way in 10.4 to change it to a Tiger's growl. I'm surprised it hasn't been mentioned yet. Mine has it now and it sounds really cool. Sometimes I restart just to hear it, or to impress other mac heads. There is a lot of hidden stuff under the hood in 10.4 if you know how to activate it.

Passante

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2004
on the sofa
mcarnes said:
There is a way in 10.4 to change it to a Tiger's growl. I'm surprised it hasn't been mentioned yet. Mine has it now and it sounds really cool. Sometimes I restart just to hear it, or to impress other mac heads. There is a lot of hidden stuff under the hood in 10.4 if you know how to activate it.
So tell us :mad:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.