Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's vice president of Environment, Policy, and Social Initiatives Lisa Jackson today announced that Apple has joined global renewable energy initiative RE100, a campaign that's dedicated to getting the world's most influential companies committed to 100 percent renewable power.

Jackson shared the news at Climate Week in New York City, where she also shared some details on Apple's recent environmental progress. In 2015, 93 percent of Apple's worldwide operations were powered with renewable energy, and in the U.S., China, and 21 other countries, Apple uses renewable energy for 100 percent of its operations.

According to Jackson, Apple just completed work on its 50-megawatt solar farm in Arizona, which will power Apple's global data command center in Mesa, Arizona, the former location of Apple sapphire partner GT Advanced.

applemesaarizona-800x451.jpg

Jackson also gave an update on Apple's commitment to helping its suppliers use renewable energy, announcing that Apple supplier Solvay Specialty Polymers, which makes the antenna bands used in the iPhone, has pledged to use 100 percent renewable energy for all Apple production.

Catcher Technology, a supplier that provides aluminum enclosures for iOS and Mac devices, is also aiming to reach 100 percent renewable energy by the end of 2018.
"Apple is committed to running on 100 percent renewable energy, and we're happy to stand beside other companies that are working toward the same effort," said Jackson. "We're excited to share the industry-leading work we've been doing to drive renewable energy into the manufacturing supply chain, and look forward to partnering with RE100 to advocate for clean-energy policies around the world."
Other major companies who are members of RE100 include IKEA, Adobe, BMW, Coca Cola, GM, Google, HP, Microsoft, Nike, Philips, Starbucks, and Walmart.

Article Link: Apple Joins Global Renewable Energy Initiative RE100

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
Now, how can we turn this into something negative, like why Arizona and not Alabama or so?

Why no picture of Lisa Jackson, so we can rank on her?

Seriously, this should be a worldwide effort and joined by ANY manufacturer or any company giving orders to contract factories.

PS: I am having a hard time believing "China". If I read it right it's 100% of "its" = Apple's operations" , not the plants they use.

Reactions: nagromme

applepuree

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2014
What exactly does it mean to be on 100% renewal energy when it's pretty clearly implied that excludes your suppliers? Whose definition of "100%" are we using exactly? Apple's suppliers are a pretty big piece of their business.
I think you will find they mean their shops, offices and other apple run premises. They are helping and encouraging suppliers to move to green power, such as the vast solar farms in china they have helped fund.

I wonder if at Apple Campus 2 they have installed EV charging points in the parking for employees.

Reactions: geenosr

okboy

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2010
When it comes to the environment: "We're a green company with a conscience, and if you don't like it, get out of the stock."

When it comes to taxes: "We have a fiduciary responsibility to our shareholders to use every tax evasion loophole possible."

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
The quicker and more widespread the move to renewable energy the better. This is an area Apple can genuinely help change the world for the better.

And I think it's both ethically and economically the right direction to go in, those things do not have to be mutually exclusive.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
The quicker and more widespread the move to renewable energy the better. This is an area Apple can genuinely help change the world for the better.

And I think it's both ethically and economically the right direction to go in, those things do not have to be mutually exclusive.

The hippies grew up and STILL won their own way, dig it?!!

dwaltwhit

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Tennessee
From a financial standpoint this is a positive both short and long term. Short term has the Benefits of PR. Long term is the investment in infrastructure that leads to vastly reduced overhead in the years to come.

Reactions: jovada and geenosr

imnotthewalrus

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2015
earth
I am happy to see Apple continuing to bring attention to responsible energy consumption. They don't HAVE to, as many other high-profile companies have not even begun to be environmentally responsible.

Reactions: geenosr

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Wow !.. Look at all those panels..

Most people have a farm full of animals,, but Apple has a farm full of solar..

itguy06

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2006

Except most "Green" energy has costs that are about the same as the "nasty" energy. You have to make, ship, maintain, etc all that stuff. Especially the solar panels. IIRC it's about a net wash.
[doublepost=1474332469][/doublepost]
Anyone who is still a little unsure about whether or not global warming is real, should check out this graphic:
http://xkcd.com/1732/

I've seen it and it's cute. But it doesn't tell the whole story. Overly the Earth's population onto that graph and notice something? As we packed more and more people onto the planet the temp went up.... But nobody wants to talk about that. It's far easier to control the ever growing population with dubious science.

TrumpsWithUs

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2016
Spring, TX
Anyone ever wonder what the temperature is above one of these solar fields? Does it cook birds that fly overhead? Heat the atmosphere at all?

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
Good. Fund Liquid Flouride Thorium Reactor research and build a modern reactor.

...instead of waiting for the Germans & Russians to do it, like the US Gov's plan.

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
Except most "Green" energy has costs that are about the same as the "nasty" energy. You have to make, ship, maintain, etc all that stuff. Especially the solar panels. IIRC it's about a net wash.
[doublepost=1474332469][/doublepost]

I've seen it and it's cute. But it doesn't tell the whole story. Overly the Earth's population onto that graph and notice something? As we packed more and more people onto the planet the temp went up.... But nobody wants to talk about that. It's far easier to control the ever growing population with dubious science.

The data you might have about real world costs of renewable energy, if it more than three years old, it is out of date. If it is five years old, it is vastly out of date. I suspect you are quoting data that is decades old though. Yes you have to ship solar panels and make them and things like that.There are costs. But the cost of making panels and racking is going down. And there is almost no maintenance cost for solar panels. And they last for a really long time. 35 year useful lives is the baseline these days that an independent engineer will certify for a well built top of the line solar facility. I work in the industry and it is really amazing how much the nuts and bolts costs have come down.

Solar has one issue. It is a huge issue, but it is the only one. Solar facilities don't generate power after the Sun goes down. That is the issue. So you need some fossils fuel plant to ramp up to pick up the load at that point. As it turns out, natural gas fired plants can ramp up quickly. So you could make a system that is mainly solar during the day and natural gas and wind during the night. But you would need to have those natural gas plants ready to step in on a cloudy day and of course every night. But when the Sun is shining, nothing can compete with solar at this point.

Anyone ever wonder what the temperature is above one of these solar fields? Does it cook birds that fly overhead? Heat the atmosphere at all?

Have you ever walked on black asphalt with your bare feet? It can be quite hot. But hold your hand one foot above that asphalt and you won't detect much extra heat. And it would be ridiculous to think that birds are going to die flying over a parking lot due to heat. Solar panels are a lesser version of that because they don't retain heat as much since they have air circulating below them as well as above. So no these PV panels will never cook a bird. The concentrated solar panels which reflect a football fields worth of light back at a central point is a very different technology and issue. But there have only been a few of those projects ever built and there is unlikely, in my opinion, to be any more unless the technology gets much better.

Last edited:
Reactions: dysamoria

macs4nw

macrumors 601
When it comes to taxes: "We have a fiduciary responsibility to our shareholders to use every tax evasion loophole possible."
When it comes to taxes: "We have a fiduciary responsibility to our shareholders to use every tax avoidance (which is legal) loophole possible."

Fixed for accuracy

"avoidance" and "loophole possible" still have a somewhat 'shady' vibe though.....

I would even say: .... "to use every tax reduction option available"..... sounds as legal as it is.

Last edited:

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
Quote: When it comes to taxes: "We have a fiduciary responsibility to our shareholders to use every tax avoidance (which is legal) loophole possible."

"avoidance" and "loophole" still have a somewhat 'shady' vibe....
I would even say: .... "to use every tax reduction option available"..... sounds as legal as it is.
Yeah, one thing people are forgetting is that those tax "loopholes" are just incentives that are in the tax code, and companies take advantage of them. Nothing shady at all.

maxsix

Suspended
Jun 28, 2015
Western Hemisphere
I am happy to see Apple continuing to bring attention to responsible energy consumption. They don't HAVE to, as many other high-profile companies have not even begun to be environmentally responsible.
Perhaps this "news article" was released now, to draw attention away from the botched iPhone launch.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.