Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Apple should also get huge credit for pushing downloads over physical media shipped by internal combustion engines! iTunes and the Mac App Store.

Their practices have effects spreading far beyond their own company, and even into other industries (entertainment). Apple certainly has not been the only company pushing downloads of software and media (Steam was a pioneer too) but they’ve pushed hard in ways nobody else has: for all intents and purposes they created the downloadable music business (dragging the record labels kicking and screaming) and they’ve axed all their own boxed software, despite having a retail chain where those boxes would really sell! Other companies have joined in. It’s really a big shift from pre-App-Store days.

hayesk

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2003
If I'm not mistaken, only The Professor from Gilligan's Island was the only one to ever achieve 10 on the Greenpeace electronics meter. Until Apple figures out how to build phones and tablets out of bamboo and coconuts, he'll remain the only one.

Kid A

macrumors regular
May 1, 2008
Deniers. :rolleyes:

I thought the "union awareness" article would bring out the parental basement dweller conservatrolls. But, nope, it's the greenpeace article. :rolleyes:

Man-made global warming is a conspiracy, just like all these harassment allegations against Herman Cain... :rolleyes: You guys are funny.

----------

Oh, I know... I sent him that link. He didn't acknowledge it. Smart guy, but blind hatred of Apple. They can do no right as far as he's concerned.

shawnce

macrumors 65816
Jun 1, 2004
The Aluminum Uni-Bodies are extremely hard on the environment since the production uses an exorbitant amount of energy.
It depends on how you generate the electricity used for processing, you focus on fixing / cleaning that and the rest follows. Aluminum is a great material for recycling as is glass, etc. but those do take energy to reprocess.

Also don't ignore the energy, natural resources, and chemicals, etc. needed to make other materials that you may think (using some arbitrary measure) are better then something like aluminum.

Last edited:

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
They get knocked down because they aren't as vocal about being green as Greenpeace would like. This is what bothers me about Greenpeace, they aren't happy until you've completely committed to their side, and spend your time preaching about it. Any less is seen as bad to them, and this attitude can push people away from the very goals they want.

I used to donate to them, but got fed up with constantly being asked for more, IMO a waste of my money. (So do others like MADD, the worst) I'll donate when I am ready and to many different causes, not when you send me mail.

Some of what they do is not that cool and Greenpeace would be a better organization if they wouldn't just protest but also get involved in problem solving an issue with the corporations.

They have their merit in starting awareness, but somehow I got worn out:)

Milznike

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2011
Below Average?

Apple moved up to fourth place this year from ninth place in last year's survey, making gains in the greenness of its products and sustainability efforts in its operations, but remaining below average in its energy scores.

According to the article, Apple is below average, but that doesn't appear to coincide with the supplied graph. According to the graph, Apple is generally above average based on the peer companies shown. It's actually almost a perfect bell curve with an almost perfectly normal distribution. The only thing that doesn't make sense is why it doesn't line up with the 0-10 measurements. Is there some hidden data set that would indicate that this segment of data (shown) does not alight with the large (hidden) data set?

pohl

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2005
Lincoln, Nebraska
I used to donate to them, but got fed up with constantly being asked for more...

There's a good technical solution to this problem, and it works for any organization one might like to donate to: give through an anonymizing intermediary. I use givv.org, which allows you to budget how much you would like to donate each month, and it will split it between the organizations that you'd like to support. At the end of the year, you get a nice statement for all of the 501(c)3 organizations that were on your list, to make doing your taxes easier. It's awesome, and it keeps you off the lists of those who would otherwise annoy you out of donating.

NAG

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2003
/usr/local/apps/nag
If everyone is getting about a 4-5 what the heck is the point of the fancy scale graphic? We're fighting over decimal points!

I think what annoys me here is this is a completely subjective scoring pretending to be objective. They've had a tendency to take high profile companies and rag on them in the past (e.g. Apple for the iPod, Nintendo when the Wii was in the news). And alternatively they elevated a company (e.g. Dell scored higher when they were ragging on Apple). Why don't they just give those companies they higher scores to give direction and limit the scale to fewer degrees (maybe 5 or if you want you can probably go down to 2...Greenpeace will never be happy so the categories would probably be "shock they're bad" and "we're pleased with the lip-service this company is giving us).

I remember back in high school in the 70's how we were taught about the upcoming ice age and also how there was only 25 years of oil left in the ground.

I remember a time when humans thought the earth was the center of the universe.

Nostromo

macrumors 65816
Dec 26, 2009
Deep Space
The graphics below doesn't match the upper graphics.

The upper graphics says: 10 is best, 0 is worst, and Apple made it to 4 out of 10.

The lower graphics says 11 is worst, 1 is best.

Mismatch.

Skoal

macrumors 68000
Nov 4, 2009
I take Greenpeace with a grain of salt! Unrefined naturally occuring sea salt of course, but salt nonetheless! :p

Screw them!

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
The graphics below doesn't match the upper graphics.

The upper graphics says: 10 is best, 0 is worst, and Apple made it to 4 out of 10.

The lower graphics says 11 is worst, 1 is best.

Mismatch.

Not a mismatch, displaying different things.

The top graph shows Apple's position on the Greenpeace scale. Where they are currently 4th out of the tech companies scoring around about 4.8 on Greenpeace's scale.

The bottom graph shows their place amongst the tech industry historically. You'll note that for this year Apple's position on that bottom graph is showing as 4th and last year as 9th as noted in the article.

Slurpy2k8

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2008
Isn't the most common argument for trolling Apple these days that they're the 'worst' environmental violators and their green record is horrible? Oh, and the second most common is the lack of flash on their iProducts. Looks like flash is officially dead on all mobile platforms.

Looks like both these angles got pretty shot to **** this weak. Trolls will need to dig a bit deeper now and get more creative.

starvingartist8

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2011
As much as I like Apple products, I know that it comes to a cost: The Aluminum Uni-Bodies are extremely hard on the environment since the production uses an exorbitant amount of energy. The Yes Men actually faked an Apple web page offering a green phone once to put the finger on unfair labor practices and environmental issues with the products.

Now, you can argue that Apple doesn't actually produce anything and therefore it is "green" but the design comes from Apple and is predominantly Aluminum. Also, if the labor practice would concern Apple, they could demand change, but they don't. But that is not the subject here.

And I am not a saint in this story either. I have 2 iPads, my wife has an iPod Nano & Touch 2nd Gen, and I have the iPhone 4. I know that this is not the best choice environmentally. I am just saying - if there would be a solid concern, other metals and even plastics have usually a better carbon/environmental footprint.

PS/Edit:
I avoid using aluminum foil as much as possible in the kitchen. I use saran wrap instead to save at least a little bit on the environment and to not waste important resources. If we all do that, Aluminum doesn't get more expensive and Apple can increase their win... :D

Apple use solar farms

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
Well, good. This isn't just about global warmiing it is also about the less polutants we put into the ground / the more we recycle the better for the planet.

Without a doubt, humans are having a negative affect on the environment - dumping crap in the ground, in the seas, and in the air.

If the earth dies, so do we.

Guy...

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2008
Buying new cellphones every year and be "environmentally friendly" really go together well. This goes for all manufacturers.

You can believe what you want just don't push your ideology on me.

filmbuff

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2011
I would much rather see Apple improve their factory conditions then reduce greenhouse emissions.

d-klumpp

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2010
Chicago
I'm a little surprised they aren't already ahead of the pack ... their consumer outlook is very green, so their corporate practices must be poor.

Actually, I'm surprised Apple ranks so highly. Winter or summer, my nearby flagship Apple store leaves the doors wide open, thus flagrantly wasting heated or AC'd air in the name of commerce.

Didn't Steve's mother ever yell at him to close the refrigerator door?!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.