Apple Juniper 90 day Promo Scam

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by strum, Oct 9, 2008.

1. strum macrumors newbie

I think Apple should avoid being associated with Juniper.

Edit: All resolved thanks to Apple. Steve Jobs runs the best company.

Just beware that 90 days no interest, does not mean 3 statements, as they start the statement cycle later than your purchase date.

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

This sounds like a good one to send directly to the Steve Jobs e-mail address....

3. strum thread starter macrumors newbie

4. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

then why is apple still using them? they can use other credit cards..

5. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

I realize that this will be an unpopular thing to post, but at some point the consumer has to take responsibility for the terms of the agreement they entered into.

6. yoppie macrumors 6502a

Bravo. The thing said 90 days not 91.

7. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

I totally agree.

There is a section in the billing that SPECIFICALLY STATES when your purchase needs to be paid off before any interest occurs.

EDIT: These dates are not Billing Cycles, they are DUE DATES meaning the date can be in the middle of the billing cycle. In other words, if your due date is say 11/15 (for no interest) and your billing cycle is from the 1st to the 30th, and you sent off a payment on the 18th, they got it, it was processed prior to the 30th. You should NOT be surprised you got charged interest. You MISSED the due date for no interest by 3 days. The interest deal is 90 days from purchase date and has nothing to do with billing cycle.

The OP says it was missed by 1 day? ummmm yah it's been stated above, 90 not 91. I don't understand the 3rd statement due date thing the OP mentioned, but I kept close eye on the dates at the top of my statement (online and on paper) so maybe that's what they were referring to.

I bought my iMac on the Juniper card and it worked out great, even after I bought it a bought quite a few more things from Apple and each purchase recorded showed the date it needed to RECEIVE payment before any interest occured and all was paid off in time.

Got my wife's MB on it as well. Same thing, no interest. It was a quick and easy buy now pay later solution at the time. We've since cancelled our Juniper card and will be paying cash for our next Mac purchase but it worked out great.

8. Pathetique macrumors member

I don't think them charging you for something you agreed to qualifies as a scam...

Enjoy your BlackBerry?

9. jackiecanev2 macrumors 65816

jackiecanev2

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

Agreed. 90 days is 90 days. However, juniper is known to practice double cycle billing and exploiting due date disparities. Just because they are technically within their rights doesn't mean that they're not engaging in slightly shady practices. CC companies are pulling their money; like the double billing, it's another way to squeeze money. Hell, most companies have a 1-2 day grace period.

10. SilentGreg macrumors member

Blame Juniper, not Apple. ;)

Anyway, try calling Juniper and speaking to a representative, you MAY get somewhere. Better than doing nothing and stating on an online message board that you will never buy another Apple product again because of a lousy bank. If you get the right representative, something can be done. If you are unable to have the charges removed, try speaking to a supervisor. :cool:

11. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Personal responsibility, it's what's missing in America.

12. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

since i'm about to buy a mac what is the benefit with buying via Juniper credit card in the first place? i mean just buy it with your regular card? am i missing a special rebate here?

13. hexonxonx macrumors 601

There is no benefit to using the Juniper card. It is a card that is simply offered during the checkout process and if approved, can be used to pay for your purchases if you are instantly approved. I've had one for about 5 years now. I used it to buy my Mac Pro and two 3G iPhones recently. I've never had any problems with it. The day I bought my Mac Pro, I called Juniper before heading to the store and asked them to lower my interest rate. They did and also upped my credit limit. It's been one of my best cards.

14. aristobrat macrumors G4

IMO, the impact of you "being done with evangelizing" will way more (!!) affect your family members and friends than it will affect Apple.

But hey, if it makes you feel better, ...

Juniper will often run a "no finance fee for XX days" promotion.

15. Jatku macrumors member

If you read closer, the OP said they received his check 2 weeks before the 90 days, but they said it was received at 91 days. That does sound pretty shady.

16. aristobrat macrumors G4

He said "they received my entire payment 2 weeks before my 3rd statement due date".

When I've purchased stuff that had free financing for 90 days, the 90 days started ticking from the purchase date, and the purchase date had nothing to do with the statement date.

17. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

what are we reading wrong here?:confused:

anyway, if it's just 90 days no interest then i don't get why one would use Juniper in the first place?
    don't you pay what you buy immediately or at least at the end of the month?

even if you invest the $2000 for your apple purchase for 90 days in a money fund you could make at best $25 or so. hardly worth the trouble to start another credit card. especially since you make rewards points on your current credit card anyway. and of course the 90 day no interest has to be paid somehow. that means there are of course bad things in the fine print. this is the best example why one should ignore these offers and immediately pay unless there is a huge benefit in paying later.

and the best recourse is to call juniper and beg for some grace period or reduction of the interest. therte is at least a chance to get some of the $170 back.

18. RobLS macrumors member

For you to stop buying mac just because you didn't understand the terms with a company partnered with Apple at the moment is just stupid. I will agree I've had my arguments with Juniper (paying a balance off, but they kept one penny on it), but doesn't mean I will stop supporting apple and buying their products. That is just rediculous.

19. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

There's your mistake - you should have checked the facts instead of making assumptions and then moaning when your assumptions were proven to be incorrect...

20. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Quote from Leopard Dictionary:
    "scam |skam|
    noun informal
    a dishonest scheme; a fraud : [with adj. ] an insurance scam."

It wasn't dishonest, you were dumb enough NOT to read the terms and conditions. That's your own fault. It's the real world, live with it.

21. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You can say that again! It's funny (and sad) how so many are quick to blame others for their own mistakes!

22. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

What's that? :confused: