Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PTVMan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 20, 2012
Not sure if this makes sense, but I pre-ordered an iPhone Xs Max and AW4 on 9/14 for in store pickup on 9/21. Two days before in store pickup I got an alert that Apple just charged my debit account $626.80, which is normal timing. I didn't actually login to my account because these types of debit card activity notifications have always been accurate. So, I picked up the iPhone and watch on 9/21 from my Apple store. However, just this morning my account was debited $626.80 - 4 days after in store pickup, which took my account to a negative balance. In looking through my account now it doesn't appear to be a duplicate debit, but scratching me head about the previous debit alert and knowing I had money set aside for this purchase. Does Apple usually charge debit or credit cards days after pickup?

JBGoode

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2018
I think this is normal for any transaction using a credit or debit card. I can use mine to purchase something today and immediately receive an alert that the card was charged, but the money won't be debited from my account or won't reflect in my total balance owed for several days. It takes a few days for these transactions to process.

jona2125

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2010
In my personal experience with transactions with Apple, they definitely do drag it out quite a bit but it's gotten better recently, though still hit or miss. I very rarely buy things on the App Store and when I do it takes about 2 weeks before they charge me, like they're banking on me to make more purchases. But if I buy a song it comes out immediately. For device purchases they are also hit or miss, my X came out the day I pre-ordered yet I still haven't been charged for my XS that got delivered yesterday.

Reactions: PTVMan

karmatourer

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
In my house
In my personal experience with transactions with Apple, they definitely do drag it out quite a bit but it's gotten better recently, though still hit or miss. I very rarely buy things on the App Store and when I do it takes about 2 weeks before they charge me, like they're banking on me to make more purchases. But if I buy a song it comes out immediately. For device purchases they are also hit or miss, my X came out the day I pre-ordered yet I still haven't been charged for my XS that got delivered yesterday.
I had my battery replaced yesterday for $29 and was immediate also. Purchasing is a whole other story though!

Reactions: jona2125

slippery-pete

macrumors 68020
Jun 23, 2007
I think this is normal for any transaction using a credit or debit card. I can use mine to purchase something today and immediately receive an alert that the card was charged, but the money won't be debited from my account or won't reflect in my total balance owed for several days. It takes a few days for these transactions to process.

This. Charge when it happens, to ensure there is enough cash/credit, final charge usually goes through a couple of days later. This process happens for all transactions going through credit or debit cards.

purpleparrotuk

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2010
I just purchased 2 Apple watches. Money was in the pending section of my bank. Then a day or so before was due to pick them up the pending payment disappeared and the money was released back into my account to use. Obviously I didn’t use the money and it wasn’t until this morning that the money was fully taken out. Dunno what was happening with the money. Expected it to go straight from pending to fully paid after pickup.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.