Apple just not on the ball

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Tech198, Jun 19, 2011.

1. Tech198 macrumors G4

With all these slip ups with OS X between versions (and they are often silly things), its unbelievable that in this day and age Apple can still use the term "It just works", when checking reading between the lines, it not like that at all.

This is no way a debate or bad mouthing Apple, I love Apple products, but honestly, Microsoft got this right first time.... Apple has great things too, but even after feedback to apple, they still don't fix it.

One example, is if a volume name on a DVD/CD is of 28 characters max, instead of spaces special characters are used _ Finder displays a blank folder in 10.6.7

Or the fact that the user is unable to eject external devices connected to the usb port while you are emptying the trash (in this case, the files you are emptying did not reside on the usb drive/flash) Files with the same name for example.

Sometimes you gotta wondering how Apple could have got this wrong ...... Its soo simple. I realise Microsoft have there own bugs as well, but even with all their security fixes/updates etc... at least they got that right.

I honestly wouldn't believe this is mac specific either, as its software related, not hardware.

I only hope when Lion gets released Apple will get there act together with these little things.

2. simsaladimbamba

3. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

These are extremely minor. The trash thing isn't even a bug, since the Trash in the Finder is a combination of the /.trashes file on all connected drives, so even if no files from that drive are in the Trash, it's still reading there.

Does the DVD still work? If so, then it does indeed "Just work." BTW, "It just works" is not a slogan of Apple's, I believe. Don't criticize Apple for what their fans say.

4. robgendreau macrumors 68040

True, but.... These are minor quirks, but dragging a valuable volume to the trash to eject it? That's been ridiculed for years, and I think Apple engineers keep it in just to needle human interface geeks.

5. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

Except "Trash" turns into "Eject" when you drag a volume onto it. It's not ideal or perfect, but it doesn't convey the idea that you're about to lose all your data either.

Again, a minor quirk, nothing major. Windows (and Linux and OS X) have far worse faults than this.

6. robgendreau macrumors 68040

Maybe. But I got tired of telling people who I was helping to "drag the volume to the trash," which of course resulted in an immediate objection till I explained. Why not have volumes act like dock icons, with a pop up for eject or open?

7. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030