Apple just replaced my 3GS in store - is my data safe?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ajo, Jul 24, 2010.

1. ajo macrumors 6502

As the title says. Very good service from Apple. Turned out that my iPhone had a fair few problems when they checked it over!

Anyway they took my old phone. Is the data on it safe. Photos etc.

2. Goldinboy17 macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

Ummm, you're supposed to back up your phone beforehand. Sometimes they'll transfer the data for you there, in which case, you're good to go.

3. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

I would imagine they would format the phone as part of the refurbishment process before offering it as a replacement to others.

4. bobfitz14 macrumors 65816

bobfitz14

i think he's more concerned with his data getting into the wrong hands than back into his own, as if some one else had access to it some way.

5. ajo thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes thats what I mean.

I know the Apple employees are good guys heh. Was just wondering how quick the phone is wiped.

Have heard in the past about people receiving refurbished ipods with music on them!

6. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

whenever I've gotten a replacement, the genius goes into settings and hits the "reset all" option before placing it into the white box

I don't ask them to, they just do

7. Built, Jul 24, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 23, 2010

Built macrumors 68020

Actually, a friend of mine several weeks ago played with an iPad at an Apple Store just before closing, and signed in to her Facebook account. (Obviously, a dumb move.)

The next day we were all bombarded with really obscene messages on Facebook.

Who knows who did it? But it was just prior to closing...I suppose it could have remained signed in to Facebook at store opening the next day and it was another customer...but who knows?

Always restore a phone to factory settings before bringing in for replacement if possible...

On another note, go over to the QVC forums and see how many complaints are on there about people getting refurbed items with all sorts of "presents"...DVDs still in drives...tissues in purses...an eyelash in a compact...