Apple keeps calling it the "Wide Angle Lens" on the 7+

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ehzool, Sep 10, 2016.

1. ehzool macrumors member

Is it really wide angle? (Like the LG G5?) Or is it just as wide as the cameras found on previous iPhones like the 6 and 6+?

2. fanta88 macrumors 6502

No, it's 28mm, same as on the 6/6s, and to call it wide angle is a bit of a stretch. Ba-dum-dum!

To be fair, the "tele" is 56mm, and to consider that telephoto is also a stretch. It's essentially a street shooting lens in my book

3. Irock619 macrumors 68000

Irock619

Yes but it is a crop sensor not full frame, therefore the focal length is multiplied and you can get more reach for the telephoto lens. The wide angle is not really wide angle with the sensor size factor. I have a canon 80D DSLR with a crop sensor and a 10-20mm (16-32mm equivalent) that would be considered wide angle lens.

4. Titleist macrumors regular

Titleist

Anything lower than 24mm is considered ultra wide. Technically a 28mm is a wide angle lens.

5. OriginalClone macrumors 6502

OriginalClone

28mm is the full frame equivalent, so yes it is a wide angle lens (35mm or wider). It's just not ultra-wide.

Edited to add:
    The sensor size is already factored in when they say it's ~28mm.

6. fanta88 macrumors 6502

I'm almost sure the fl stated for the lenses take the cropped sensor into consideration and have been converted to the 35mm equivalent. The lenses themselves are significantly smaller than 28mm/56mm
    --- Post Merged, Sep 10, 2016 ---
    See, I personally consider below 28 to be wide, but oh well.

7. zacheryjensen macrumors 6502a

zacheryjensen

Any focal length shorter than twice the diagonal of the output circle of the lens that is required by the sensor/film it's shining on is "wide angle" and anything greater is telephoto, by lens design convention. The 28mm and 56mm values are in 35mm equivalent terms. 35mm frame has a 27.2mm diagonal, so double that and it gives you 54.4. A "perfect" normal lens in 35mm terms is a 54.4mm lens. (btw, this is partly why Sony was able to make such an incredibly high quality lens in such a small package when they produced the Sony Zeiss 55mm f/1.8 ZA a few years ago.)

So basically anything below 54.4mm is wide angle, anything beyond is telephoto. But people, due to the huge popularity of lenses in this FL, tend to think of that inflection point as 50mm.

Long story short, 28mm is definitely a wide angle lens. Really quite wide in fact, without getting into the "ultra" wide range in any practical sense. It's not the widest angle available on a phone but it's about as wide as you can get before things start to look extra stupid in many compositions due to the quickly appearing effects of perspective distortion.

Personally, I'm a "normal" shooter. I prefer 55mm and I'm quite looking forward to finally having something close to that on my phone.

8. HBOC macrumors 68020

i always thought anything wider than 20mm is ultra wide. I have the 14-24mm and 24mm isn't THAT wide...

9. machtv macrumors regular

well there's no doubt it physically is wider...no pun intended.

10. Titleist macrumors regular

Titleist

Have a 14-24 as well. Lens is pretty wide IMO. I personally consider anything 35 on down "wide".

11. JustMadeThisNameUp macrumors regular

What's a street shooting lens?

12. Macshroomer macrumors 65816

Macshroomer

A 28mm lens is one of my favorites, I use a Nikon 28mm F2 AIS, 28mm 1.8G & Leica 28mm F2 Summicron. In medium format a 50mm takes that slot and 90mm for 4x5.

It's a natural looking wide in that unless you go out of your way to angle it up to distort the photo, it pulls in just enough in tight quarters, was Gary Winnogrand's go to for street and it is used to great effect by landscape pro's who don't care for the stuff everything in the frame look of Peter Lik who favor the gimmicky look of ultra wides.

The combo of a 28mm and 50mm lens, I could travel for a year or more with just those two and produce thousands of brilliant images. 28 is wide enough and comparatively speaking, 56mm is telephoto enough.