Apple Keyboard Battery Life

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by w00t951, Nov 30, 2013.

1. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

I've been using this Apple Wireless Keyboard pretty frequently since I got it (2010). It just occurred to me that I still haven't replaced the batteries that came with it... What kind of dark sorcery is this?!

2. bkar89 macrumors regular

bkar89

its quite power efficient! I think i swapped batteries more often on my old 2,4ghz wireless keyboard than the bluetooth driven apple keyboard...

Either it's sorcery, or bt is more power efficient than i thought!

3. hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

I think they supply them oem with expensive Lithium primary batteries which last a long, long, long time. Your keyboard might also use 3 cells rather than 2 cells as do the current ones.

When they do go dead, replace them with Sanyo "Eneloop" rechargeable batteries (or the Apple rechargeable 2-cell plus charger kit which is similar). These have very low self-discharge so last along time with occasional usage.

4. Solomani macrumors 68030

Solomani

Why hasn't Apple released a wireless EXTENDED (numeric-pad) keyboard yet? Is it really that hard to make?

5. hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

They used to have one, prior to the thin aluminum generation. It was white/clear plastic with full stroke keys. You might find one on eBay or somewhere. But, yes, it would be nice to have a low profile aluminum wireless keyboard with numpad.

BTW: there are separate wireless numeric pads available from other vendors which try to match the Apple wireless keyboard looks

6. Rocketpaul macrumors regular

I agree the keyboard has very respectable battery life. The magic mouse on the other hand....

7. MyMac1976 macrumors 6502

MyMac1976

I in many ways prefer the white one to the Aluminum extended. If it was mechanical it's be perfect

8. Solomani macrumors 68030

Solomani

1 month average battery time…. using Sanyo Eneloops rechargeable AA. Most other batteries (e.g. Duracells) will only last maybe 2-3 weeks.

9. neilmacd macrumors 6502

I'd love one of these and I love my wired keyboard, I don't get along with the wireless keyboard, it seems too small. I know there's no difference on key spacing etc., but for some reason I can't comfortably use it.

As for there not being one.. I'd guess it's down to the fact that in exchange for losing a wire, you'd lose out on USB ports. :confused:

Anyway, I go through a s**tload of battery charges on my other Macs keyboard, so cheers for the Sanyo recommendation :)