Apple Keyboard: Bluetooth or USB?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by bamaworks, Jan 6, 2008.

1. bamaworks macrumors 6502

The question here is how useful is the USB Port(s) on the Apple keyboard? Do you find yourself using them often? I can't decide if I would or not. It's just USB 1.1 right?

I know I want the bluetooth mouse, but I am debating on the keyboard. Any suggestions?

2. Jasonbot macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

The ports are low power USB 2.0 ports, they cannot power an iPod but could probably be used for flash drives if needed.

3. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

The BT keyboard is fine for irregular use with a laptop, but I wouldn't want to use one on a desktop computer - personally I find the USB ports very handy and the numerical keypad absolutely essential.

4. biturbomunkie macrumors 6502a

it's usb 2.0.

another thing you might want to consider - do you need a numerical keypad?

5. bamaworks thread starter macrumors 6502

Never use a numerical keypad :). I suppose I heard wrong on the USB ports and they actually ARE 2.0. I may go wired. I considered just buying last generation KBs, but that new iMac Keyboard is just so damn appealing, haha.

6. g-7 macrumors 6502

g-7

They can, if you use the aluminum keyboard with latest aluminum iMacs.

7. Jasonbot macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

Quite strange how it only works on that one model.

8. johny5 macrumors 6502a

johny5

Theyre ok, obviously one of the 2 is for a mouse and I *used* to use the other for the camera/camcorder input although I hated having to lift the keyboard up and down when I had to plug the cables in.
    I didnt want to leave the cables in all the time as it looks untidy so i rerouted them to a usb hub hidden behind the mac.

If your question is which to get and you dont really use the num pad and want a nice cable free desk, then buy the bluetooth keyboard along with the wireless mighty mouse.

9. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

From my experiance my 2 month bluetooth keyboard is getting sent back!

Not only does it cost a fortune in batteries!

But I got a dudd one aswell! (you cant win them all! :D)

It also feels very small and my hand keeps on slipping off when I try and hit enter!

Hope this helps!

10. bjett92 macrumors 6502a

I went withe the bluetooth with my MB that I use as a desktop because I HATE wires. I like as few as possible on my desk.

11. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

Dude. USBCELL.

12. bamaworks thread starter macrumors 6502

Apple site says that with normal use the batteries should last 9 months.... if that's a fortune in batteries, you probably shouldn't own a mac ;)

13. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

Bought the new wireless to replace the old wireless on my work iMac. Great keyboard, don't miss the numerical keypad.

14. aspro macrumors 6502

I bought the wireless one to replace my older style white keyboard, though I would miss the usb plugs but as I went completely wireless I don't need any more than the ones in my Macbook.

15. kflook macrumors member

I would prefer the wired keyboard, only because of the numerical keypad...so if you don't use that, I suppose you'd be ok with a bluetooth one.

As far as batteries go, I've had my bluetooth keyboard (previous model) about half a year and never changed the batteries.

16. coachingguy macrumors 6502a

coachingguy

I faced this same dilemma, and opted for the wired kb for my G5 iMac - hated that kb (so I replaced it with a Micro$oft kb). I think it's the best kb I've ever used. That could be because I love my MB. I use both usb ports as well. One for my mouse and one for my camera downloads.

However, I use keypad a few times a month so that played in my decision.

Coachingguy

17. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

Actually I was told that the issue was not the keyboard so much as making sure to plug it into one of the USB ports on the Mac itself. I had been plugging my aluminum keyboard into a USB hub and thus was unable to use the USB ports on it for my iPod. Once I plugged the keyboard directly into one of the USB ports on the iMac it worked fine for powered devices including my iPods.

18. jvette macrumors 6502

jvette

I have both and now only use the bluetooth keyboard and mouse. Once you start using it you get used to it. I now really like the size on the desk. It did look a little funny at first with that huge 24" Imac.

19. Halsey12 macrumors regular

I say no batteries. The more we can slim down waste, the better. So USB is what I picked for my MacBook Pro.

20. CJRhoades macrumors 6502

I always buy wired so I dont have to deal with batteries and what-not.

21. eddx macrumors regular

eddx

I use my computer with the new Apple bluetooth keyboard daily (4-10 hours) and am only half way through original batteries (which came with the keyboard purchased over three months ago.

The mighty mouse is much more of a battery hog, so much so I turn it off every evening, but the keyboard I never turn off.

Unless you need a number pad or unpowered usb ports go for the bluetooth, its perfect in my eyes and has never let me down.

22. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I bought my Bluetooth keyboard (the original ones, not the crappy new aluminum ones...i need my number pad) back in July, use it quite often, NEVER turned it off, and I just replaced the batteries for the first time last week.