Apple keyboard - can we expect new ones soon?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jon08, Jun 15, 2009.

1. jon08 macrumors 65816

I'm currently deciding whether I should get an USB or Bluetooth Apple keyboard for my MBP (since I'll be getting a laptop stand for it).

Now I do like the numeric keyboard the wired option offers, but I could eventually do without it just well - just like I did on my MBP. So if I were to go with the more expensive one (the bluetooth one), will it be worth it? Or has Apple announced any improved/new keyboards coming out in the near future?

The reason why I'm asking this is because I'll be going to study abroad about 6 months from now and won't be able to take my keyboard with me, so it will basically "stagnate" at home... :p And then when I get back from a semester of study abroad, I'd hate to see that a lot better and improved Apple keyboards have been released...

2. janstett macrumors 65816

The current bluetooth keyboard basically is the same as the keys on the Air and Unibodies... Here's a cool thought, I wish the keyboard in the Unibodies unplugged and became a bluetooth keyboard. I think Toshiba actually did this a few years ago in a 17" or 19" laptop.

[​IMG]

I actually just pulled my old full-size bluetooth Apple keyboard out of storage and started using that
    [​IMG]

I think I'm going back to full-style clicky keyboards and pulling my IBM Model M's out of storage ;) I discovered a technique of greasing the key caps that makes them 80% quieter and there's nothing like the typing feel and responsiveness.

I don't see Apple coming out with another keyboard any time soon -- especially since they're emphasizing form (sleekness) over function. Although I do think there was a rumor of a full-size keyboard with a trackpad instead of a numpad, so desktop users can get all this great new multitouch technology. I guess I could see that, desktop Mac users are missing out on that great laptop feature.

[​IMG]

I don't want to complain too much about the current Apple keyboards as they are pretty good, but for comparison I got an IBM M4-1 off of eBay -- I had one of those things in 1994 and I forgot how good the key action is, and it makes me realize we really don't have good keyboards anymore. The M4-1 is basically the old thinkpad keyboards, and man they had great key action, probably the best ever on a laptop.

[​IMG]

3. jon08 thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks for your input. The keyboard with touchpad seems really innovative and pretty cool, though I believe there will still be a lot more users who prefer to use mouse to touchpad...

4. Shaun.P macrumors 68000

Shaun.P

What a lovely post, very informative. Thank you.

5. MistaBungle macrumors 6502a

MistaBungle

I visited my aunt recently and she has the previous bluetooth keyboard and it is amazing. I'm definitely going to try and find one on eBay to use, I simply fell in love with it.

6. jon08 thread starter macrumors 65816

Are there any rumors when keyboards will be updated tho? This year? Or next year?

7. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

I use that at work (using it right now actually), and I HATE it. They keys require lots of force in comparison to the new keyboards.

8. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

I Would love if this happened, some kind of screen so it could switch function too, between blank trackpad, numpad, and anything else really :p

9. mrkgoo macrumors 65816

Because of multitouch and gestures, I prefer a trackpad over a mouse now (for general use).

10. adamfishercox macrumors 6502

They likely won't update the keyboards until they move past the aluminum design aesthic in their Macs. And that's likely not for a couple more revisions.