Apple keyboard for macbook?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by anotherarunan, Dec 8, 2007.

1. anotherarunan macrumors 6502

Hi guys. I am thinking of purchasing an apple keyboard (wired) to go with my macbook (2.2 SR) and was wanting to get peoples opinions on these things. I am keen to know how different the actual typing on these things differs to just typing on the standard macbook keyboard. All thoughts welcome!

2. Brianstorm91 macrumors 65816

Brianstorm91

I like the wireless one, have you really thought about that one?

3. anotherarunan thread starter macrumors 6502

not sure if i can afford it! is there a big difference (except that its wireless :confused:)

4. Brianstorm91 macrumors 65816

Brianstorm91

It's missing the numeric keypad on the right, but how often do you really use it?
    Other than that not a lot I believe.

5. anotherarunan thread starter macrumors 6502

personally would rather have a number pad than have wireless...opinions on the wired/wireless models please!?

6. TheStu macrumors 65816

The keys last I heard were almost identical to the MacBooks, so... you shouldn't notice any issues at all

7. morphineseason macrumors regular

The new keyboards feel exactly the same as the macbook keyboards - maybe even more sturdy (less mushy...if that makes sense).

Layout-wise, if you have or have seen the new Santa Rosa Macbook keyboards, it's the same as that. It has things like expose, dashboard, and play/pause/volume options mapped to the function keys with little icons printed on the keys, representing each function.

As far as wired vs. wireless, I can't recommend the wired one enough. Battery life may be better on a wireless keyboard vs. the bluetooth mighty mouse, but I wouldn't risk it. My bluetooth mighty mouse eats batteries so fast that I'm tempted to "downgrade".

The wired one also features a number pad (wireless one doesn't) as stated, and the wireless one might also be missing USB ports (or at least the old clear/white-styled apple wireless keyboard was missing them) - for reference the wired one has two USB ports on the side and comes with a USB extension cable to plug into the back of an iMac, for example, if you needed quick access to a high-powered USB slot without having to turn your computer around (in your case it'll probably just be something you'll leave in the box).

My personal opinion of the keyboard is that it is AWESOME. It's a HUGE improvement over the old one and if you're already used to laptop keyboards, then you'll definitely love it.

8. California King macrumors 65816

My cousin has the wireless and I have the wired, and I have to say, the wired one is much better. I think the wireless one is too small for me and unless you want to hold the keyboard in your hand or use it at long distances, I recommend getting the wired one. Also, the new keyboard feels nicer when typing and makes less noise when comparing it to the macbook keyboard.

P.S. I use the numeric keypad all the time..but maybe because it's my calculator for one of my online class. Before, I would rarely use my macbook as a calculator since there's no num pad.

9. pjrobertson macrumors 6502a

I can't believe nobody has mentioned the 2 extra USB 2.0 ports on the wired keyboard. I have one with my Macbook, and it's really handy when I'm in the house. It means I can have my external keyboard, mouse, time machine drive all plugged in with one port to spare.

I have no regrets after buying the keyboard. For me wireless is too expensive and the fiddling with batteries sounds annoying (replacing etc.)

10. doobi18 macrumors 6502

you guys mightn't have noticed, but theere is actually a perfectly good keyboard already attatched to ur macbook (on the flat bit, adjacent to the screen)
    :D

11. iMan G5 macrumors member

Getting a Wireless Apple keyboard for your Macbook is stupid. If it is the newer one, the Apple wireless keyboard is a Macbook keyboard for desktops. I really love my wireless apple keyboard and I am used to it so I find it comfortable if I am using this or if I ever get a Macbook.

12. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

Your lack of imagination must be responsible for such a statement.

They are very nice if you use your MB (or MBP) in closed clamshell mode.

13. anotherarunan thread starter macrumors 6502

Really? Does it make a big difference when the MB is closed connected to an external monitor?

14. applesith macrumors 68020

applesith

I use the wired keyboard with my MBP. It is the best keyboard i have ever used. At first i was skeptical abut it because it is so simple looking. But after buying it and using it, i love it! I got wired because of the extra USB port it adds plus the key pad. I also just like the feel of a longer keyboard. I played with the wireless in a store and it felt like my hands were falling off. Anyways, yeah, the wired silver is awesome!

15. Jakethasnake919 macrumors newbie

Jakethasnake919

I have an earlier Macbook and was wondering how the shortcut keys at the top work. Are they going to correspond to the labels on my laptop or to the labels on the keyboard? Or does it take into consideration which one you are using?

16. CaffeMacchiato macrumors member

The wired keyboard from Mac is so good, I use it for my vista and xp. In terms of the overall typing experience, I feel that the wired keyboard is slightly better than that of my macbook pro. In terms of the feel, tension, depth, etc.