Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ltzraymond

macrumors member
Original poster
May 16, 2008
being a PC and mac user, I want to know if i could use the apple keyboard instead of a pc one. My dell keyboard recently broke is there a way that i could use an apple keyboard to my dell?

Shake 'n' Bake

macrumors 68020
Mar 2, 2009
Albany
being a PC and mac user, I want to know if i could use the apple keyboard instead of a pc one. My dell keyboard recently broke is there a way that i could use an apple keyboard to my dell?

It's just a keyboard. There's nothing special about it, aside from the outrageous price. Buy it.

garya

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2010
Yes you can use Apple keyboard with PC

Jan 15, 2010
I am using an Apple keyboard with a PC to type this. I have the Apple wired full size aluminum keyboard. My PC is Windows 7.

Just plug in the Apple kb and turn on the PC. The kb works fine for all the normal keys. But to make the Apple kb more useful, use a key remapper program. I use KeyTweak (google KeyTweak and download the program AND the user's manual).

Here is some info. Using KeyTweak shows that all Apple keys produce a scan code EXCEPT Eject and fn. All the function keys produce scan codes even F13 thru F19. Also note that control is Ctrl; alt/option is Alt; command is the Windows logo key; clear is NumLock. With KeyTweak I remapped F7 thru F12 to act as the volume and media keys (matching exactly the Apple kb markings). I also remapped F13 as PrintScn and the Apple numpad equal (=) to be equal. Now I had a very functional kb.

But I went one step further, remapping F16 thru F19 to be My Computer, Calculator, Email, and WWW Home respectively. Once you learn KeyTweak (it takes a while) you can do a remapping in just a few minutes. And everything can be set back to the default settings easily.

PS, one further trick. I like a volume bar to show up on the monitor screen when I use the volume up/down/mute keys. Download and install Microsoft IntelliType. Pick a wired kb to install, I use Microsoft KB500, and presto you have it. Nothing else happens best I can tell, since the MS kb driver is for all the "special" keys on most MS kb's and the Apple kb has none of those.

HellDiverUK

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2009
Belfast, UK
Thanks for the info. 6 months after the thread died...

Hint: check the date of the last post in a thread, generally if it's over a few weeks ago, then it's bad form to revive the thread.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Thanks for the info. 6 months after the thread died...

Hint: check the date of the last post in a thread, generally if it's over a few weeks ago, then it's bad form to revive the thread.

Typically people who revive threads with product promos are just product promoters.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.