Apple Keyboard II Family Model

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by MBP13, Jul 26, 2011.

1. MBP13 macrumors 6502

MBP13

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

3. 92WardSenatorFE macrumors regular

92WardSenatorFE

It's interesting either way. The font used on the keys also doesn't appear to be the traditional apple font used on keyboards from that era. Also note the blank keys as well.

4. MBP13 thread starter macrumors 6502

MBP13

Troll. *rolls eyes*

Just kidding. I didn't notice the font differences, but I did notice the blank keys. There's a key on top of the number pad that says "delete" and it looks out of place to me..

5. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Upon further digging via my nasal passages, I've found out that this is a Apple Keyboard II. It was introduced in October 1990 and discontinued in 1992. Here's a fun bit of history: Introduced and sold with the Macintosh LC in 1990, this keyboard was almost identical to the original ADB Keyboard, but included flip down feet to change the typing angle and a design change that gave the frame and keys a more substantial appearance. In 1993, The Macintosh TV was the first Mac introduced in all black. It came with an identical black Keyboard II (using the same model number).

6. MBP13 thread starter macrumors 6502

MBP13

I wonder why Apple included a green and yellow key on this model keyboard? It looks funny to me.

7. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

I'm not sure, but that and "new" keyboard having blank keys makes me think its a rip off.

8. MBP13 thread starter macrumors 6502

MBP13

It also says the keyboard was made in Mexico..I'm not sure that is true.

9. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

That's possible. Oh, the model number is the same as authentic Apple Keyboard II's.

10. 92WardSenatorFE macrumors regular

92WardSenatorFE

11. chrfr macrumors 603

Those are definitely not original Apple key caps. It's likely someone replaced them with something generic.
    "Model Family" is just the way Apple used to identify products. It's not a family model keyboard, whatever that would be.

12. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

Yeah, it just looks like a standard Apple Keyboard II that's been recapped. I like this keyboard (I have the black version for my Macintosh TV) - it's compact and has the clicking action that many people love from the Extended version. My only complaint is the oddball arrow key layout, which makes many games difficult to get used to.

13. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

I've never seen one of these - looks like the pics are PS'd.... ;)

Maybe someone changed the keyboards for an education customer?

Not from Apple, IMHO....

14. MacTech68 macrumors 68000

MacTech68

Here in AU we had a large number of later ADB keyboards with the "Assembled In Mexico" serial number labels so that part is certainly possible.

What is intriguing about this one is, apart from the issues already discussed, is the serial number's date.

It would seem this keyboard was manufactured around 1993 week 44, which seems way too late for this model.

Then again, if it was a special run (for some reason like a unique point of sale system etc) for the colored and blank key caps then it could be correct. :confused:

Many of the late charcoal colored Extended Keyboard II keyboards for the Director's Edition 5400 & 5500, which came from Apple as a new spare part were manufactured in Mexico long after those models were discontinued.

Still, I'm curious as to which country uses a heart symbol as a "Shift 2" key. :eek:

15. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

That keyboard looks fake to me. If you notice on the back, where it says Apple Keyboard II, on my Apple Keyboard II (which I know is legit, as my family bought this with a Mac in 1992), There are TM signs after the Apple Logo and Apple. The replacement keycaps as well make it look dodgy. Also, on mine, the voltage properties aren't stated on the ASSEMBLED sticker, but that could be because mine is Irish origin. Again all of that could be because mine is from ireland (Poster with a Mexican version - if you have it around, can you see if these differences are an Irish/Mexican thing, or a Fake/Real thing), but it seems off to me.

16. MacTech68 macrumors 68000

MacTech68

It seems fake to me on several counts too. I'll see if I can find one of the Mexico assembled keyboards though I'm not sure I've kept one. :(