Apple Keyboard lag - Ipad Freezing

Discussion in 'iPad' started by gregburbidge, Feb 17, 2011.

1. gregburbidge macrumors member

Hi everyone!

I won't be buying a XOOM because I like my ipad, and have never done anything on it where I needed flash.

I DO however type on it a lot, taking it to meetings all the time. Not that long ago I noticed a crazy lag in typing. If I start typing about three words in it seems to freeze. I can keep typing (and typing and typing). The clock doesn't move, so it's pretty frozen. About every four minutes all the text I have been pounding out comes up, and the clock shows the new time, but then it freezes again as I keep typing.

Any ideas? I close every other program I'm using, but still, the lag...

--Greg

2. patp Guest

Have you synched or back up recently? I find my iPad lags if I don't synch/ back up regularly.

3. AppleScruff1 macrumors G3

AppleScruff1

4. Durious macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Typing too much on a virtual keyboard will cause ergonomic issues steve is protecting your health. Kidding aside i get a bit of lag lately more software updates and lack of built in memory to blame, guess itll leave me upgrading when ipad 2 hits... They did this with iphone 3g and ios4

5. Gryzor macrumors 6502

So, what the hell does XOOM have to do with it?

I take it you haven't done a hard-reset? :rolleyes:

6. applefanDrew macrumors 65816

I think this is one of many reasons why the nest iPad needs 512mb ram. Or more.

7. dbq2005cc macrumors newbie

Freezing lagging keyboard issue

Try this: Double tap your home button to bring up all of your apps that are loaded. Select and hold one until they begin to jiggle. Touch the minus to remove those apps you are not using. This frees up memory and may eliminate the problem.

I do this every now and then. Good luck!

8. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

"remove" means "stop", as in quit it running, not as in deleting the app from you iPad.

9. blackNBUK macrumors 6502a

There definitely sounds like there is something wrong. Since I installed 4.2 I've noticed that it can take a second or two for the keyboard to come up but I've never noticed anything like you've described.

The first thing to do is reboot your iPad; you can do this by pressing and holding the power button until a "Slide to power off" message comes up. Use the slider and then power on your iPad in the normal way. If you've already tried that or if it doesn't work then you'll probably need to restore your iPad from a backup. You can do this by connecting it to your computer running iTunes. Unfortunately I'm not in front of iTunes so I can't really give you details.

Edit: I forgot to ask, are you jailbroken? If you are then it's possible that there is something running in the background that is screwing things up.

10. cole01 macrumors 6502

I don't think this has anything to do with the iPad's RAM. I'm having the same issue from time to time and it has only started after installing 4.2.1. I'm thinking 4.3 will be a bit more "iPad optimized".

11. applefanDrew macrumors 65816

Exactly! Need more ram! It's tough to run all that iOS 4 does on only 256mb.