Apple keyboard not working on boot

Discussion in 'macOS' started by sOwL, Feb 16, 2012.

1. sOwL macrumors 6502

sOwL

Hello everyone, I'm encountering a strange problem here and I hope someone could enlighten me. So as usual I restarted my machine holding down "alt" (or opt) key to get to the boot screen. I switch between operating systems all the time with bootcamp. To my surprise, it didn't work. I thought I must have done something wrong so I restarted again, for it to fail once more. I tried resetting the PRAM by restarting once more and holding down alt+cmd+o+p. That didn't seem to work either. Any idea as to how this could be suddenly broken? It's really bugging me since i keep this setup for years and never run into such a problem that I'm not even able to reset the PRAM. The keyboard is the new Apple keyboard, the slim one that resembles to laptop keyboards, wired. Any help will be greatly appreciated

2. arjen92 macrumors 65816

arjen92

3. jackrv macrumors 6502

Is it wired or bluetooth? IIRC, you need a wired keyboard to execute bootup commands.

4. sOwL thread starter macrumors 6502

sOwL

Thank you for the replies, my problem has been fixed. Yes, it's a wired keyboard and yes I have tried the older one. That did the trick. Replugging the keyboard wouldn't fix it, but after plugging the old one and then replugging the new one it works as it used to again. Strange, glad that i kept the older keyboard