Apple keyboard on Windows

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Silver472, Dec 3, 2008.

1. Silver472 macrumors newbie

Silver472

I want to know if I can use an apple keyboard on a windows without any problem. I have only to plug and use right? Do I have to set any other configurations? thx for the help.

2. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

Yeah, plug it in and it will work pretty well.

However, there are a few things:
    - Volume control, and all the function keys actually will not work. Neither will the fn key (which will most likely become the "insert" key). F1, F2, ... F12, etc. will only work as those keys and not follow the graphic above the text.

-Scroll Lock, Pause, and Print Screen don't work without key remapping

-Eject does nothing

Other than that, everything works. I'm pretty sure Windows also automatically remaps the Apple key to become the Windows key even though they are in different locations.

3. jodelli macrumors 65816

jodelli

As dotdotdot says a usb Mac keyboard will work, without some of the Mac functions.
    I know this because I used to work in an HP call centre for notebooks and often plugged my Macally board into a spare USB port, sometimes using an extra mouse as well. We were actually encouraged to use our own gear if we were comfortable with it.
    However we were really restricted on the use of personal gear that was capable of uploading proprietary info. Ext HDDs, blank media, USB sticks, and our own laptops needed to be kept out of sight.

4. pnyc macrumors 6502

You can get stuff like the volume control working by installing the Windows Boot Camp drivers.

5. Silver472 thread starter macrumors newbie

Silver472

ok, then. thx for the answers. I think I'm going to buy an apple keyboard and if I do, I'll put on my windows and test. if there are any problems, I'll ask here how to solve them. thx for the help.

6. Cameront9 macrumors 6502a

Cameront9

I can't remember the name of the program, but the last time I did this on my old Work computer, I found a Windows program that will let you remap keys. Thus, I connected my Apple keyboard to the Windows machine and then remapped it so the Ctrl keys and alt keys would be swapped. This meant that I could press the Mac Keyboard's "CMD" key for the windows "ctrl-c, ctrl-v, etc."

Not sure if you would want to do that or not, but just a thought...

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Input Remapper?