Apple Keyboard Problem

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Morgan Stack, Nov 12, 2012.

1. Morgan Stack macrumors member

This thread is about a problem I'm having with keyboards.

Three years ago, I purchased a Mac Pro Quad Core, which came with a wired keyboard. Two years in, some important keys stopped responding, and after a time I decided to purchase another Apple keyboard (this time wireless). The second keyboard worked OK for about nine months, then some important keys stopped responding, just like before.

Unfortunately, a few days prior to this, I created a log-in password, which required some of the characters which no longer work on the semi-broken keyboard. So my computer is out of action until I get another keyboard.

The keyboard is under warranty, but without a receipt which I threw out I can't send for a repair. I'm naturally a bit hesitant paying for yet another Apple keyboard having two die on me within one year, so I bought a wireless keyboard of a different brand for a fraction of the price -- turns out you can't connect the keyboard, only in the Bluetooth menu, once you log-on the computer, which I can't, because there's a ****ing password in the way.

So what do I do now is the question? Is there a way around the password? Is there a way to connect the keyboard before log-in? Do I have to borrow, or buy another keyboard? Do wired keyboards need to be setup post log-in?

2. Morgan Stack thread starter macrumors member

I should make clear I'm typing this from another computer, obviously. Can someone answer my question?

3. mmomega macrumors demi-god

mmomega

I've had 2 problems with keyboards, 1 bluetooth and 1 wired. Both times I just walked into the Apple Store, both out of warranty and the associate listened up until I said the problem with the keyboard and they reached over and grabbed a brand new in box keyboard off of the shelf and asked if there was anything else they could do for me.
    No receipt, no questions, they just replaced them on the spot with zero information other than my complaint and being nice about it.

Also I've never had the problem you are experiencing, my keyboards, BT or wired, Apple or Dell, HP or etc are picked up by the Mac by the time the computer gets to the Apple Logo grey screen.
    All of the other BT keyboards I've used came with their own dongles and would sync almost immediately after plugged in, maybe try that and then sync it to the built-in Mac Blutooth controller and remove the dongle.

4. Morgan Stack thread starter macrumors member

It turns out I had yet another old Apple keyboard that is partially broken. I just forgot about it. I got through the password, and connected the new wireless keyboard. That problem sorted, the new keyboard I'm using doesn't have an ESC, brightness, espose, or spotlight key. Anyway.